Bella Banting's Reviews > The Missing Activist

The Missing Activist by Louise Burfitt-Dons

Usually anything labelled political thriller usually turns me off straightaway. But something made me take a second look mostly because I saw the author's done a lot of work on bullying. Maybe the fact it has had a lot of 5 star reviews. Or, its easy tone. Yes, this is not a heavy book, but a romper. Nor is it political in that it is not about elections or high profile people, but more the grass roots level. That’s unique. A young activist goes missing, not a prime minister or a junior minister, or even an MP. The characters get you in quite quickly. And then you are invested. Oh God. Please find Robin Miler, and quickly. Loved this book. The characters are great and original. There's a complex plot running righ through to the very end and its very well written. Hoping this is part of a series. Definitely worth reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Missing Activist.

Quotes Bella Liked

Louise Burfitt-Dons
“Zinah had not lost her touch, had she? She had a way with these girls. Amirah now ached to become more devout. Another win.”

Louise Burfitt-Dons
“In other words, if someone had a known history of being stalked or bullied, their so-called self-imposed death could provide a killer with the perfect cover for committing a crime.”

Louise Burfitt-Dons
“It gave their families at home great comfort to see them chatting, looking radiant, doing well. ‘We are fine, mothers. Look how happy we are, now we free from our bad bosses.”

Louise Burfitt-Dons
“The skin on her upper arms prickled like it’d done so many times back in Jeddah, a sign to be careful.”

Louise Burfitt-Dons
“Karen Andersen was a private investigator with a healthy dose of imagination. So when her phone went off while carrying out a pretend parry riposte, in her mind she was Diana Rigg from the Avengers.”

Louise Burfitt-Dons
“If she had asked Karen for advice, which she didn’t, she may well have told her, ‘You don’t help yourself. You are too public.”

Louise Burfitt-Dons
“At this, a Somalian stepped up to the platform. Horrific acid scars had left her skin looking like parchment. She began before the applause had faded, drowning out her words.”

June 30, 2018 – Shelved
June 30, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
Started Reading
August 19, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Terrific review Bella! Thank you for the recommendation! I usually avoid political thrillers too! But I will have to take a closer look at this one!!😊