Cyndi Becker's Reviews > The Fragile Ordinary

The Fragile Ordinary by Samantha Young

Samantha Young does it again. By IT I mean giving us a wonderfully emotional story of a complex young women and her complicated life. The details in Samantha's story line always intrigue me (in this it's a new fascination with Irregular Choice footwear) but really she captured so many nuances of a personality in her characters, perhaps none more than that of Comet Caldwell. Comets' sense of self is conveyed so thoroughly, so descriptively, making this young Scottish teenager utterly fascinating. There's no easy was to sum her up so I suggest you just read this story to find out for yourself.

Comet is the only child of a pair of artist parents that are absorbed in their own world creating a strained relationship with their daughter. Comet has 2 really great friends but even that's fraught with the struggle of what I'll call the three's - someone is always left out, and much of the time it's Comet. She's often lonely, she isolates herself, and is only comforted by her wall of books
No matter what was happening in my life, in my room, I had over eight hundred worlds to disappear into, and over a thousand others on the e-reader on my nightstand. Worlds that were better than this one.

She's a bit frustrating at times but I get her, I really do. I connected with her and found her endearing. Her quirky fashion sense aside, she's very stoic and seemingly scared of life. She's adapted to her situation but has a plan to move past the beach-side enclave in Edinburgh that she resides in. But when she's made to work on a school project with a newcomer from the US, the mysterious Tobias King, everything changes. She begins to find her wings.

This story is packed with a range of emotions. I found myself angry and scared on her behalf. As she and Tobias spend more time together and their worlds begin to meld, they face an uphill battle against circumstances. And everything is complicated the raging hormones of teenagers. No two Samantha Young characters are alike and I think Comet may be the most unique - one you ought to get to know.

In Tobias's words : “What have you been doing since you got here?” He smirked down at me. “Chasing after a girl.” Delighted, I tried hard not to grin back. “He says with absolutely no embarrassment or pricked male pride.” Tobias’s gaze softened. “She’s no ordinary girl.”

*I was gifted a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review*

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fragile Ordinary.

June 14, 2018 – Started Reading