Maria Elmvang's Reviews > Divergent

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Dec 07, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, 5-stars, owned-ebook, dystopian, 2013
Read 2 times. Last read July 15, 2013 to July 31, 2013.

"Divergent" is one of those books that suddenly popped up everywhere. I actually hadn't even considered reading it, until I read yesterday that it had been voted "Book of the Year" by Goodreads! Now I knew I had to see what the fuss was all about.

The book did NOT disappoint! I was hooked from the very first moment, and even the open ending didn't bother me too much... I must be getting to a point where I've started to expect them! I couldn't put the book down, and would have finished it much sooner if I didn't have that pesky work intervene ;)

The action is fast-paced and convincing - it takes a very talented writer to make me afraid of heights through her writing... and I don't even have vertigo! I was stunned when I discovered she's only 23 years old! If she continues in this vein, she has great things ahead of her.

It actually most of all reminded me of "Uglies" by Scott Westerfeld, which isn't a bad thing at all. Now I just hope that Veronica Roth can keep up the pace in the sequel.

Reread in 2013 - still love it :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Divergent.

Quotes Maria Liked

Veronica Roth
“I might be in love with you." He smiles a little. "I'm waiting until I'm sure to tell you, though.”
Veronica Roth, Divergent

Finished Reading
December 7, 2011 – Shelved
December 8, 2011 –
page 65
12.97% "Not impressed by Eric. Brave =/= cruel."
December 8, 2011 –
page 65
12.97% "I just read that the author is a mere 23 years old. Whaaaaat?!"
December 8, 2011 – Shelved as: 2011
December 8, 2011 – Shelved as: 5-stars
December 8, 2011 – Shelved as: owned-ebook
December 8, 2011 – Shelved as: dystopian
July 15, 2013 – Started Reading
July 31, 2013 – Shelved as: 2013
July 31, 2013 – Finished Reading

Erika Glad you liked it too! I wouldn't have considered reading it either. Thank goodness for word of mouth on the internet! I really have to read Uglies now that you mentioned it here.

Maria Elmvang You definitely should! I think you'd like it.

Trine It sounds as if I should borrow it.