Avry15's Reviews > Before I Fall

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Dec 07, 2011

bookshelves: young-adult, supernatural, reviewed

originally appeared on:Bookshelf Confessions

*Ok, I get it, if you’re hesitating to read this long review, but this is actually short, and I can’t shorten it anymore, sorry!..:)… I just have so much to say…Off you go, it’s short, promise…:D

Kudos for the cover, it’s interesting and reflects the wonderful contents of the story.( A girl lying or falling)..:)

There’s no dull part in this book, as I turn every page, laughter, sorrow, heartbreak, entertainment swarm my senses.

The book quite remind of a Mexican Telenovela entitled Ruby, where the protagonist is the antagonist at the same time..lol… viewers tend to hate her, but are always watching it since they can’t get enough of her and even if they won’t admit, she’s the center of the show and she plays the story really well.

In Before I fall, Sam is just like her, a really unlikable character, one where we can always find as someone bullying the main protagonist. She is the mean girl, but as the story progress and as Sam’s character develops, I find myself loving this otherwise hated girl.

In the first pages, honestly, I can’t imagine how the author pulls this, a different girl with unlikable characteristics to be the center of the book.. But I later realize, that the author intends for the readers, to have fun in reading books which are new, something not going with the shy, good, wholesome girl they used to like, but with someone totally different.

Meanwhile, as to the favorite character , I believe it was Kent, he’s such a cute charming guy, that shouldn’t be treated as Sam does, it made me smile just reading their scenes.

As to the issues of alcohol, drugs, sex, a lot of swearing, bullying.. I guess it’s plain reality nowadays,..and a lot of teens could actually see themselves into this book… it’s not a campaign for these, it’s just that, the author presented something, which some might avoid… and this one makes this book more closer in my heart… this is a true depiction of teenagers around the world today… and it’s not a topic to be avoided, but one that needed counseling.

This book, is a story of one where you can’t just leave after reading, the lessons that must be learned reaches far beyond the conscious reader’s minds. It made me question some part of myself and my doings too..lol..

It made me realize how short really life is, we should be thankful for each day we live..and that we should use it to make a difference in someone’s life… and it’s a fulfilling thing to die happily helping others… the ending is heart-breaking and mind-opening…

Ms. Oliver did a YA masterpiece, which is powerful, thought-provoking and in-lined with teenage tastes… this is not just for teens but for everyone out there…

This journey in Sam’s life, is one thing I would forever remembered, hard as I try to imagine a different ending, reality would soon seep in… I shed tears along the journey, but I cry full-hard at the end, it’s just so full of emotion, I actually put myself in Sam’s shoes. Ms. Oliver is an author to watch out for… and her future books would definitely be in my to-read list..:)

Writing this review wouldn’t let you in fully to the roller-coaster ride of emotions readers experience while at this, so I suggest you should get your copy and find out for yourself!

Highly Recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Before I Fall.