Deborah J Miles's Reviews > Haircuts, Hens and Homicide

Haircuts, Hens and Homicide by Stephanie Dagg

bookshelves: blog-tour, recomendations

Haircuts, Hens and Homicide is written in the first person from the point of view of Megan, a young, recently-single, English, hairdresser from Maidenhead, who has arrived in France for her grandmother's funeral, and, as sole heir, is dealing with the winding up of the estate. The comical cover only hints at the fun to come.

Can I give this 6 stars? I read this book over the period of a couple of days and was thoroughly irritable when I had to put it down to attend to less important things, like providing sustenance for my family!

I found it laugh-out-loud funny. Dagg's entertaining and sometimes sarky writing style appeals greatly to my sense of humour. I loved the use of Megan's voice to make observations about her characters and stereotypical French life. I especially liked her descriptive nicknaming of people and animals to underline particular characteristics, such as "Mean Mutt" and "Obleix", and the "I-told-you-so" asides to the reader, when Megan correctly predicts an outcome, because this made me feel less of an observer to events, and more like Megan's confidant.

The plot is well-thought-out, brilliantly delivered and I learned a couple of things about French life along the way. Thankfully, there must be more to come, as this story ends with an unexpected event... And I really can't wait for the next instalment!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haircuts, Hens and Homicide.

June 29, 2018 – Started Reading