Barbara's Reviews > Murder under Cover

Dec 06, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: mystery, mystery-romance
Read from December 05 to 09, 2011

Actually, more like 3.5 stars.

I remember really enjoying the first few books in this series and being anxious and anticipating the next book. It was a deliberate decision on my part to not read this book right away, so I would have something good I could count on later to read. This has apparently backfired on me.

I guess I’ve read too many cozy mysteries that had heroines that were TSTL. I don’t remember Brooklyn Wainwright being that type of heroine, but for some reason, when I started this book, Brooklyn reminded me of one of these stupid heroines. I had a hard time shaking this feeling for the first third to half of the book. This really spoiled it for me. Brooklyn was not running off half cocked as most TSTL heroines in this book, but I still couldn’t seem to shake that stigma for some reason.

Maybe the just too good to be true romance between Brooklyn and the mysterious Derek Stone had something to do with that too. Derek is a “James Bond” type hero and is a security expert with his own growing security business. Derek was so intriguing and mysterious in the first few books, but seems a bit watered down in this one for some reason. Is it because he seems to have determined Brooklyn is the woman for him and seems to being domesticated? I’m not sure.

There are two more books that seem to be in the works and coming up on this series. I have such fond memories of the earlier books that I won’t give up on it yet. However, when I purchase the next book, I better read it right away, so I can overcome some of my less enjoyable cozy mystery experiences.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Murder under Cover.