Lisa (Bookworm Lisa)'s Reviews > The Orphan's Wish

The Orphan's Wish by Melanie Dickerson

This book is a loose retelling of Aladdin. The story begins as Ala Ad'din's mother dies. He is left an orphan with no one to see to his well being. But a kind man (crook) takes him in and teaches him the art of stealing. When he tries to steal from the wrong, or right, people, he finds himself in better circumstances.

I liked that even as a small boy Aladdin had a strong sense of right vs wrong. He wanted to do what is right and hated doing something he knew to be dishonest. He always stood up for the less fortunate and treated everyone with respect. This mindset brought him respect, honor, and loyalty to those who were fortunate enough to work with him.

The love interest is the daughter of a Duke. Aladdin is always trying to prove his worth to himself, so he can feel worthy to be with Kirstyn. He causes a lot of anguish to himself and those he loves because he wants his fortune for the wrong reasons. It is mentioned that he has the "Midas touch". It seemed more like he was smart and had a good work ethic.

The book looks at greed and how it cause the downfall of a person. For the most part, the book ran smoothly, but it also had places where it seemed a little slow. Aladdin is deeply religious and he looked at everything through his faith. Don't get me wrong, that is a trait that I greatly admire, it just slowed the book down.

This book contains domestic violence, kidnapping, religious themes, and romance. I would consider it appropriate for an older teen on up.

Source: I requested a copy to review from Netgalley. Thanks to Thomas Nelson for giving me the opportunity to read this book. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Orphan's Wish.

June 28, 2018 – Started Reading