Christopher's Reviews > The Paradox of American Power: Why the World's Only Superpower Can't Go It Alone

The Paradox of American Power by Joseph S. Nye Jr.

Dec 06, 2011

bookshelves: politics
Read in March, 2008 — I own a copy

A good working-paper on the case for a multilateral approach for U.S. foreign policy. I would first like to say tht I agree with most, if not all, of what Mr. Nye wrote. The reason why I gave this only four stars though is because he tends to lose his main point of explaining why we need a multilateral approach to foreign policy. He tends to dive into the aspects of our changing world, specifically the Information Revolution and Globalization, which seem important to his overall thesis, but he sometimes seems to forget what it was in favor of gawking at these changes. The other problem with this book is that it is a little dated in that it was published just after th events of 9/11, but before the U.S. invasion of Iraq. Thus, some of the things which he mentions in the book have been overshadowed by recent events in Iraq. Overall, though, his thesis is good, his evidence is sound, and his conclusions undeniable. A good text that would be timeless if it were edited and updated.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Paradox of American Power.