Rosie's Reviews > Who's Afraid of Mr Wolfe?

Who's Afraid of Mr Wolfe? by Hazel Osmond

Dec 06, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: owned-kindle, romance

When Jack Wolfe joins Ellie's advertising agency as the new boss everyone knows he is there to shake things up. He has a reputation for turning companies around, mainly by getting rid of all the excess baggage (i.e. useless staff). Despite this, everyone seems to be falling at his feet - men and women included. Ellie is on her guard though, and no amount of huffing and puffing or good looks is going to get her to drop it - or to revamp her image and cozy up to the 'pigs-in-suits' the way Mr Wolfe suggests she should.

This is a 3 rating for me as I really enjoyed the first half of the book (4 stars) but found the latter half a bit disappointing in comparison (2 stars).

The first half focussed a fair amount on Ellie's career and the gradual build up of romantic and sexual tension between the two main characters. Ellie was not a push over but she wasn't a ball-breaker either (though I think realistically if anyone really spoke to their boss the way she did at some points they would be sacked immediately). The tone was funny but there were also some moments that drew an authentic picture of life for a young, career woman. (view spoiler)

However, the second half let me down. Perhaps in part because the romantic tension evaporated (view spoiler) and also because of the way Ellie turns into the stereotypical female doormat. I don’t care that Jack had a ‘reason’ for behaving the way he did, the upshot was that he didn’t explain that reason to her, treated her badly and to a large extent she let him (view spoiler).

In the end it just felt like the formulaic guidelines of romance took over to the detriment of the book. Overall it was an entertaining read but I lost respect for the characters.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Who's Afraid of Mr Wolfe?.

Started Reading
December 5, 2011 – Finished Reading
December 6, 2011 – Shelved
July 13, 2012 – Shelved as: owned-kindle
July 13, 2012 – Shelved as: romance

Namratha I completely, wholeheartedly agree with your review!