Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)'s Reviews > The Sapphire Widow

The Sapphire Widow by Dinah Jefferies

bookshelves: alice-reads-adult-fiction, read-in-2018

Oh my, the story cover says a story of love and betrayal included and my word, both were heavily included! What an action-packed historical fiction novel that completely surprised me and exceeded my expectations. At my local library, I was one of the first in line to borrow a copy since I followed the book club run by Richard and Judy. Set in the year 1935 in Ceylon, young woman Louisa Reeve lives with her husband Elliot and is the daughter of a gem trader with multiple successes. There is just one downside to her world: Not having a child. After another miscarriage, Louisa notices that her husband is spending less time with her and heading to a plantation next to the Indian Ocean. Suddenly, Elliot dies in an accident but leaves more questions than answers. Over the course of the novel, Louisa is left to pick up the pieces but in doing so, ends up unlocking more hidden secrets that shattered everything she thought that she knew about her husband.

I really liked the plotline and the amount of both love and betrayal that played a huge role. It kept me reading on to the conclusion which I liked. Trigger warning for an animal death about 3/4 of the way in. The pacing did move a little slow for me personally and at times, I did struggle visually with the surroundings. There is something about Dinah's writing that really captivated me even with the slow pacing. I look forward to reading more novels about this author. I would actually recommend this book to new readers of historical fiction as well as those who love their novels set in great locations and with a hint of mystery. There was one chapter in particular that gave me Agatha Christie Poirot vibes and those novels are some of my personal favourites to read!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sapphire Widow.

June 25, 2018 – Started Reading