Lynne weir's Reviews > Dearly Departed

Dearly Departed by Lia Habel

Dec 06, 2011

bookshelves: zombies, steampunk, teen-fantasy, series
Read from December 06, 2011 to January 22, 2012

Well I have just finished this book today and I must say I am having mixed reactings to it. I'm not sure rather to give it 4 or 5 stars. As you can see from my rating it is a very good book that I have enjoyed and I am hoping that theres a second one though a part of me also hopes there isn't.

<------SPOILER ALERT------>

The book ends at a cliff hanger and I can only see that the second book (if there is one) will be depressing and will most likely have at least one beloved charactor killed off. At least if I end in this book I can pretend that they all live happily ever after but anyone who has read this book will know thats imposible. For starters theres the growing number of people wanting to kill the zombies (I never thought I'd find myself on the zombie's side after years of watching zombie horrors) Secondly the love intrest is a zombie and he may be fine now but like he himself said it wont last forever. Not to mention the fact that as a zombie he doesnt have a heartbeat so its not like they can have a normal relationship. Sign... Though I shall admit now that for the first time ever I found myself falling for the zombie, how weird is that? Though I have been thinking about it and to be honest there isnt much difference between a zombie and a vampire and we find them romantic. I mean they both have a taste for humans, its just they have differnet ways of eating them.

Anyway back on topic. I also found myself, for the first time ever,thinking that the zombie bite near the end was amost kind of well...sexy. How creepy is that? Theres also the point that there are evil zombies spreading the disease and giving the good zombies a bad name and that all zombies will eventually find themselves losing their minds and turning evil. When thinking of all this I just cant think of a way for the second book to end well and that scares me as I adore these charactors.

<------End of SPOILER------->

So now to talk about the book itself and to give it a proper review. The start was brilliant. I found reading about this new world of victorian steam punk interesting, which surprised me as I thought it would bore me senseless. Nora's first meeting of a zombie (who turned out to be the wonderful Bram) Was one that was short yet stuck in your mind so that once you know about the zombies and Bram you quickly make the connected between the hooded figure on the street and our misterious zombie boy. For a few chapters it does slow down a bit and become boring but soon picks up again in a thrilling, brilliant pace that leaves you reading long into the night. I believe everyone should try this story though I have a feeling it is one of those love or hate ones. I loved it and I hope you do to. If you love romance, Victorian, steam punk, fighing or of course zombies this is the book for you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dearly Departed.

Quotes Lynne Liked

Lia Habel
“Real ladies can give orders, Real gentlemen can take them, and Real zombies don’t eat brains.”

Lia Habel
“The fact that she made this beeline for me both warmed my soul and made me want to turn around, walk out the door, and find a cliff to fling myself off of.”

Lia Habel
“She nodded and reached out to take my hand again. I turned to look at her fully, I didnt want to say it, but I felt I should. I'd never had a chance to say it to my sisters, to my mother and I'd always regretted it. "Just in case", I said, leaning down. For once the Laz remained respectful. It didn't want her. I wanted her. Knitting my fingers into her curls, I kissed her forehead. I limited myself to one word this time. "Goodbye.”

Lia Habel
“No, not really. But …” Okay, I couldn’t help but gloat a little. “She likes me.”
Samedi didn’t even look at me. “Well of course, you’ve had that bloody uniform on all day. I was half ready to tell you how much I liked you.”

“Returning my voice to a conversational level, I called back, “Nora, I’m not
attempting to embarrass you or single you out. I know you’re capable. But stay behind Chas, okay? You die, you d i e permanently, and for various reasons that we’ve already gotten angsty about together, I don’t want that to happen.”
“Okay, okay,” she sighed.
“Angsty?” Chas asked. “Ooh! Later, details!”
“Yes, later.” With that, I waved the team forward.”

12/06/2011 page 162