Juli's Reviews > Begone the Raggedy Witches

Begone the Raggedy Witches by Celine Kiernan

bookshelves: netgalley-arcs

I would like to thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for my advanced copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

In this story, we get to know a parallel world full of witches and wizards. Mup wasn't aware that she, her mom Mam, and her aunty are witches until Aunty dies and Mam gets pulled back into the raggedy witch world where she has to face her own mother, the evil queen. This is a children's story of adventure, of friendship, of bravery, and of learning that not everything is as it seems. The plot is somewhat dark but the imagery is beautiful.

It took me a bit to get into the book. I found the naming scheme of the characters a bit annoying to be honest (Mup and Mam, for example, were hard to pronounce in the same sentence even in my head). But once I got the hang of it, I could dive into the plot, which ended up being fairly fast-paced. I specifically enjoyed Mup's interactions with the boy named Crow. They both behaved like children their age: full of naive optimism on one hand and full of rebellion against adults on the other hand. I am struggling to decide what age group this would be suited for. Because it being a bit darker, I was thinking it would be better for older middle-grade kids, but because everything sort of wraps up with a neat bow and things easily fall into place, it probably could also be read by younger children.

All in all, I think this will be a good series. Book 1 definitely got me interested.

See my blog (spoilers possible!) here: https://ichleseblog.wordpress.com/201....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Begone the Raggedy Witches.

June 27, 2018 – Shelved