Jo Ladzinski's Reviews > Bright Ruin

Bright Ruin by Vic James

32067918

bookshelves: ala2018, favorites

Read as an ARC from ALA AC 2018

This trilogy hit several notes that tickle my fantasy fancy: Ruthless nobles, technology, magic, strong family bonds, and powerful friendships. Dark Gifts hit all the notes. With this finale, I cried myself to sleep over how satisfying the ending was.

Silyen is one of my new favorites in terms of gray-moral characters. He has his own agenda which the reader is barely led in on and the characters around him even less so. His POV sections were the most exciting for me, especially when we get deeper in the lore of this alternate universe of England.

Abi's growth in the book took me away. I was on her side the entire time, her having been clever the entire time. The way she navigates the world of the rebellion and the nobles proves so admirable, especially having gone through so much adversity. The young woman wanted nothing more than to be with her family and proved a key player every step of the way.

The biggest highlight of this book's world was the exploration of mindscapes. So immersive, such a great way to tie in the information introduced in the first two books. Truly masterful with a sense of wonder against a bleak backdrop.

Bright Ruin ruined me and I said thank you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bright Ruin.

June 26, 2018 – Shelved
page 268
(ebook Edition)
October 4, 2018 –
page 268
64.42% "I love Silyen so much?? I love the Wonder King bit so much??!!"
October 6, 2018 – Finished Reading