Randy's Reviews > Assault of the Mountain Man

Assault of the Mountain Man by William W. Johnstone

U 50x66
Dec 06, 2011

Read in December, 2011

Sally Jensen was in the town of Gothic to help a friend set up her restaurant. the two women were in the bank when the Bill Dinkins gang came in to rob it. Dinkins was a stone cold killer and ended up shooting the manger dead and Sally in the gut.

Smoke races from Sugarloaf to her side and when she is out of immediate danger, he makes preparations to track the gang down. He gets deputized as a U.S. Marshal so he can go anywhere.

Then he sets out.

The newspapers are full of the incident and Dinkins knows Smoke is after them. He's leaving a trail of dead bodies across Colorado, so the trail is not hard. Dinkins puts a $1,000 bounty on Smoke's head to slow him down, if not get him killed. He's got his brother, gunman Wes Harley, in the gang now and feels better about it. Still, he takes no chances. He gets five hundred wanted posters, $5,000 on Smoke dead or alive care of a sheriff in a neighboring county. He wants bounty hunters involved and sees poetic justice in bounty hunters killing Smoke, then being arrested for murder on a fake warrant.

It doesn't deter Smoke.

His beloved Sally is fighting for her life and Dinkins and his band are going to pay.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Assault of the Mountain Man.

message 1: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed What do you think of this author overall westerns works ? Is he better than Ed Gorman westerns which is one of few newer westerns i have read.

Randy The J. A. Johnstone on the cover is more than one writer. One of them I know, I recognize his style, the others I don't, which suggests I don't read any of their original works.

My friend handles several of the characters; Preacher, The Last Gunfuighter, and, I think, The Loner.

I like them all that I read. That said, one of them, Savage Texas, seemed to be missing a plot line. They set up a showdown with an outlaw gunman, then later in the book they are talking about it and the outcome. The page numbers were consecutive, 314 of story, but the listing for the book on Amazon says 352 pages.

That whole showdown is missing. Whether it was edited out or somehow dropped at the printer, I'm not sure. If it was never there, that's just bad writing.

Other than that one book, they are all very good.

message 3: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed So these two writers writes the westerns you have read together?

William.W Johnstone name i know from seeing around.

This their best book you have read?

I dont trust books written by two authors. I have read many weak two author books. Only one good book like that and that was because they wrote half novel each and you could clearly see their different prose.They didnt mix it in.

Randy Actually William Johnstone passed away a few years ago. He's just a brand name now with other writers writing books based on his characters and some new ones as well.

message 5: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed Randy wrote: "Actually William Johnstone passed away a few years ago. He's just a brand name now with other writers writing books based on his characters and some new ones as well."

Interesting, so his old books writing by the actual WJ is the ones to try.

Randy They bring them back into print occasionally. they're pretty good. the new nes are good as well. The western is receiving a resurgence of late with some good writers leading the way.

Gorman has always been good. As have James Reasoner and Bill Crider.

The Rancho Diablo series, in ebook and paperback is listed as by Colby Jackson, but is in reality Reasoner, Crider, and Mel Odom. if you like a good western, may be the place to start.

message 7: by Mohammed (new)

Mohammed Randy wrote: "They bring them back into print occasionally. they're pretty good. the new nes are good as well. The western is receiving a resurgence of late with some good writers leading the way.

Gorman has al..."

I know Reasoner but havent heard of Crider, Odom. As long that series you mention is good it doesnt matter its different authors.

I will start to root in the library system, second hand online.