Carrie's Reviews > Archangel's Kiss

Dec 06, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: audio, fantasy, pnr, ptsd, read-2011, urban-fantasy
Read from December 12 to 17, 2011

Writing 4* (or the potential for 4*)
Enjoyment 2*
Narration 3*

This is a very difficult book for me to rate. On one hand, Singh has written a complex world and a multi-layered plot. On the other hand, there were many repetitive phrases and thoughts, especially in the first half of the book, that got old. On top of that, the book is stuffed full of really sick torture and scenes of cruelty.

So, while I appreciate that Singh can be a creative and skilled writer, I do not enjoy her characters or her stories. There was no one to like in these books, except perhaps Elena and a few of her Guild friends. The angels and vampires, especially the archangels, are almost without redeeming features. They are casually cruel, jaded, careless of life, and after centuries of living, need ever increasing stimuli to feel anything, making them especially prone to torture for pleasure.

The slow reveal of Elena's nightmare was disgusting. Really, there wasn't much to like here, at least not for me.

I will not continue with the series. I was very tempted to give this 2 stars, but will concede 3 stars based on the quality of writing...or the potential, for I felt like Singh wasted pages on repetition in this book.

The narrator, Justine Eyre, is quite popular, but her voice and delivery didn't work for me. The entire book is delivered in an emotionless, almost monotone, voice. I can understand using that voice for the angels, especially the archangels, but not for Elena or even the vampires. Eyre does distinguish well between the characters, but they all had the almost identical flat tone.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Archangel's Kiss.

12/15/2011 page 200
100% "That's not what I wrote in my status update!"
12/15/2011 page 0
0.0% "What is going o with the status update? I write: Bogged down in listening. Narrator's delivery is emotionless and the world is full of sick violence and unlikeable people. Lots of repetitive writing, too. We read Elena's thoughts on Raphael over and over, we "hear" the voice of her sister's murderer over and over. The descriptions get very repetitive. I'd probably do better with this in print where I could skim."
show 1 hidden update…

Norma WHile I loved these books, I completely agree. I did lose interest in the series though. Never got around to reading the last book. Just didn't want to read about violence.

message 2: by Carrie (last edited Dec 15, 2011 03:47PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Carrie I read the first book in print, and even then the grimness of the world got to me some. But I don't remember so much repetition, so either it wasn't as bad, or listening to it on audio highlights the matching phrases.

Someone compared this series to Ilona Andrew's Kate Daniels books, and there are some similarities. Both worlds are gritty and unforgiving, and both series deal with people who live by another, non-human code. But the Kate Daniels series has flashes of humor that helps give the reader a break from the unrelenting harshness.

Lastly, the narrator, who is very popular with many, delivers the book in an almost flat tone of voice, drawing some of her words out in an almost bored manner. Her delivery sounds like what I imagine "sophisticated ennui" to be. She might be great voicing a jaded Georgian or Regency rake. ;-)

Ah, well. I'll need to skim this in print if I keep talking myself out of finishing the audiobook!