Terrie's Just Another Book B*tch's Reviews > The War Outside

The War Outside by Monica Hesse

20834913
Just Another Book Bitch's ALWAYS SPOILER FREE REVIEW

First things first... I believe this is a book everyone should read and absorb. I think it should be on every school reading list. While it is fiction, it's based on enough fact that will catapult the reader back in time to a horrific, (and in this reader's opinion, an embarrassing time,) in US history where we made thousands upon thousands of Japanese Americans suffer for no other reason than racism. A heartbreaking read that opens your eyes to the devastations of the past and what is happening in our present-day America. It's not about politics in this readers opinion, its about people. Human beings deserving more compassion.

The War Outside follows the lives of Haruko and Margot. Both uprooted from their homes and their lives and relocated to the Crystal City Internment Camp. A strange and secret friendship bonds both girls together and will inevitably leave their lives changed forever.

Haruko, a Japanese American from Colorado arrives in Crystal City with her sister and mother to join her father who has already been a resident for several months. The "family" internment camp surrounded by its barbed wire fences and its armed military guards. It's a prison not matter the dressing. Devastated by her arrival Haruko will refuses to let it be anything more than what it is...

“This is not a normal place. This is not a normal time.” ~ Haruko

Margot, a German Amerian, has been a resident of Crystal City for a while. A loner/outsider that stays to herself. For whatever reason, she is drawn to Haruko. An only child, Margot and her mother joined her father at Crystal City early on. She has watched the camp develop and grow. "Happy" to be on the outside. Until a secret friendship with Haruko. A friendship that will teach her (and US..) We are all capable of terrible when we're under horrible circumstances...

“In order to survive here, you have to decide that you choose to be here. You have to find a way to put Crystal City into a box, instead of letting it box in you.” ~ Margot

Beyond difficult to write a spoiler-free review I have to ask you

Can the human spirit remain the same when faced with such betrail...

Do the ends justify the means, when horrible events begin an avalanche of events that no one can avoid...

Are we all capable horrible and irreversible choices when pushed against a wall?

I believe this novel can speak to your soul if you let it.

The War Outside is filled with a rollercoaster of emotion. This novel highlights family, friendship and importantly, of understanding and basic humanity. It's so much more than a history lesson. With the twists, you don't see coming, this novel, and all the emotion it instills will keep you on your toes and unable to stop turning pages. I highly recommend this book. The complex characters the superb writing. I'm surprised at how much I adore this novel. I can tell you that it will forever hold a place in my heart. This novel is not to be missed.

Thanks to thenovl.com for a paperback ARC and Monica Hesse for the opportunity to review.

The War Outside becomes available to readers September 25th

PURCHASE LINKS
Amazon US, Amazon UK, Amazon CA

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The War Outside.

June 26, 2018 – Started Reading
June 26, 2018 – Shelved
June 26, 2018 – Shelved as: arc
June 26, 2018 – Shelved as: new-author-to-me
June 26, 2018 –
page 41
12.2% "This quote.... how true it is.... especially in the world we live in and the atrocities taking place in our own backyard ....

“Horror grows out of mundanity. If you’re paying attention, it always starts small...”"
June 27, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites
June 27, 2018 – Shelved as: must-read
June 27, 2018 – Shelved as: beautifully-heartbreaking
June 27, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ [hands tissue] xox

message 2: by Deanna (new)

Deanna I had to add this!

Terrie's Just Another Book B*tch SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "[hands tissue] xox"

Finally tackled my review Such a heartbreaking time/subject but a remarkable read for sure! Hope you get a chance to read it!

Terrie's Just Another Book B*tch Deanna wrote: "I had to add this!"

Oh, Deanna! Hope you get a chance to read it! I'd love to hear your thoughts also!

message 5: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Johnson Look at you reading outside the romance box. So proud. ;)

message 6: by KFForever (new)

KFForever Fan-freakin'-tastic review Terri. You've made me want to one-click!

Terrie's Just Another Book B*tch Nicole wrote: "Look at you reading outside the romance box. So proud. ;)
Great review. Sounds like I need some brass balls and tons of tissues to read this one."

Thank you Nicole, I think you would LOVE this book!

Terrie's Just Another Book B*tch KFForever wrote: "Fan-freakin'-tastic review Terri. You've made me want to one-click!"

Thanks so much!! A phenominal read for sure! So hard to write the review for this one!

message 9: by Patty (new) - added it

Patty Erickson Dis beetch always making me click books...sounds wonderful!

message 10: by Hanne (new)

Hanne Super review

Terrie's Just Another Book B*tch Patty wrote: "Dis beetch always making me click books...sounds wonderful!"

😂😂😂. This is worth every penny!

Terrie's Just Another Book B*tch Hanne wrote: "Super review"

Thank you Hanne!! ❤️

message 13: by DJ (new) - added it

DJ Sakata After reading your stellar review I ran to Netgallery but couldn't find it, but did find on Edelweiss and put in a request - fingers crossed!

message 14: by Nikki (new) - added it

Nikki (Saturday Nite Reader) Since you thought so highly of it, I need to check it out!

Terrie's Just Another Book B*tch DJ wrote: "After reading your stellar review I ran to Netgallery but couldn't find it, but did find on Edelweiss and put in a request - fingers crossed!"

You will love this one DJ! I really hope you get approved!

Terrie's Just Another Book B*tch Nikki wrote: "Since you thought so highly of it, I need to check it out!"

I hope you get a chance to read it Nikki!

message 17: by Kim (new)

Kim Sutton Might have to try this! Not my usual kind of book but it sounds like a must!

Terrie's Just Another Book B*tch Kim wrote: "Might have to try this! Not my usual kind of book but it sounds like a must!"

Not mine either BUT SO MORTH IT!!

message 19: by Alicia (new) - added it

Alicia Freeman I have to say that I completely agree with you, so I'm grabbing right now so I can read too!

Terrie's Just Another Book B*tch Alicia wrote: "I have to say that I completely agree with you, so I'm grabbing right now so I can read too!"

I hope you enjoy it Alicia!!

message 21: by Kyra (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kyra Leseberg (Roots & Reads) Incredible review, Terrie! I'm adding it to my TBR. I was almost 22 years old before I learned about the internment camps, never read or heard a single word about it in school sadly!

message 22: by Terrie's (last edited Jul 07, 2018 02:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Terrie's Just Another Book B*tch Kyra wrote: "Incredible review, Terrie! I'm adding it to my TBR. I was almost 22 years old before I learned about the internment camps, never read or heard a single word about it in school sadly!"

It’s very heartbreaking the lack of attention this gets in schools. An embarrassing time in history for sure. But one that should be spoke about and taught.

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana If present American conditions don’t prove this. I don’t know what does....

message 23: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Your review is great, Terrie!

Terrie's Just Another Book B*tch Deanna wrote: "Your review is great, Terrie!"

Thank you so much Deanna!

message 25: by S.H. (new)

S.H. Timmins Terrie, your reviews always do a book justice. ☺

Terrie's Just Another Book B*tch S.H. wrote: "Terrie, your reviews always do a book justice. ☺"

Thank you so much hon!! ♥♥♥

message 27: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Wonderful review, Terrie!

Terrie's Just Another Book B*tch Meredith wrote: "Wonderful review, Terrie!"

Thank you so much Meredith!

Justine (Milkz) This sounds so interesting! I actually have an ARC but heard no one talking about it so I was hesitant. Thanks for this!

message 30: by Jordanne (new)

Jordanne ~ Bloodthirsty Little Beasts Blog ~ Sounds good but a bit too heavy for my planned summer reading, maybe Autumn ... great review!

Terrie's Just Another Book B*tch Jordanne wrote: "Sounds good but a bit too heavy for my planned summer reading, maybe Autumn ... great review!"

Definitely an impactful read but hopefully you get a chance to read it. It was superbly written ❤️

message 32: by Katiria (new)

Katiria Great review Terrie this one looks and sound like an emotional rollercoaster book.

Terrie's Just Another Book B*tch Katiria wrote: "Great review Terrie this one looks and sound like an emotional rollercoaster book."

Thank you Katiria! It’s an excellent book!