Will N Van's Reviews > A Home at the End of the World

A Home at the End of the World by Michael Cunningham

Jun 12, 2008

Read in July, 2006

Many reviews of this brilliant book perplex me. Some have commented that the action was slow or characters were introduced that didn't contribute enough to the overall plot, as if this were supposed to be a fast-paced thriller starring Tom Cruise (further evidence to me that even some readers have fallen prey to a short attention span paradigm). Others comment that it was poor because Jonathan wasn't the ideal of what a gay man should aspire to be in terms of strength of character. Since when has strength of character been a yardstick for great literature?

Michael Cunningham delivered in terms of breathtaking prose and the creation of characters that were alive--not just stereotypes. At the same time, he captured archetypal characteristics in Bobby, Jonathan, and Clare that mirror the faults and strengths of people in our own lives. Fear of abandonment. Fear of death and aging. Fear of responsibility. Hope for a better future.

If you are in the mood for fluff (as we all are sometimes) save this for later. If not, don't miss it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Home at the End of the World.