Janna G. Noelle's Reviews > The Queen and the Cure

The Queen and the Cure by Amy Harmon

liked it
bookshelves: read-in-2018

The Queen and the Cure is a follow-up to The Bird and the Sword (reviewed here), this story featuring Kjell of Jeru, the illegitimate brother of King Tiras who was the love interest in The Bird and the Stone. Kjell is the captain of the guard for his brother's kingdom and also in possession of the gift of healing, of which he is a reluctant user. This book follows Kjell as he falls in love with Sasha, a dying, amnesiac slave who he heals from near-death and who has the gift of foresight.

Like The Bird and the Sword, the writing of this book was beautiful and insightful, with lines that have multiple symbolic meanings. But I really can't say that I liked Kjell much as a person. He was grumpy, brooding, selfish, emotionally withdrawn, and really only seemed to love Sasha because of how helpless and dependent upon him she was. This isn't to say I found him an unrealistic character. But I didn't enjoy reading about him, perhaps because the story was in his POV, thus forcing me to live inside his head.

His merely admitting that he loved Sasha where he'd previously opted to pretend he didn't wasn't a sufficient act of redemption or character growth in my opinion. I never found myself rooting for him to get what he wanted.

Even when the recovery of Sasha's memory revealed something unexpected (view spoiler), I actually hoped they wouldn't get together(view spoiler). But the romance genre doesn't work that way. Instead, we're given an improbable set of circumstances that allowed Kjell and Sasha to be together under the best possible circumstances with no real sacrifice on the part of either of them.

The strength of this book lies in its use of setting, the internal politics of the world, and again the lushness of the prose. Amy Harmon knows how to convey a story well and I would read another book set in this story world. I would, however, like to read about a different sort of heroine than the sweet, waif-y, wounded, virginal type that featured in this book and the previous one. Honestly, I would have preferred a m/m romance between Kjell and Jerrick, my favourite character in the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Queen and the Cure.

March 7, 2017 – Shelved (Paperback Edition)
March 7, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read (Paperback Edition)
June 25, 2018 – Started Reading
June 25, 2018 – Shelved
June 25, 2018 –
39.0% "The writing is so insightful and symbolic/has multiple meanings ("There will be a battle, and you will need to protect your heart."). But honestly, Kjell is kind of a jerk (which is not to say he is unrealistic; his thoughts and behaviour are all to similar to some guys I've known)."
June 27, 2018 –
47.0% "Interesting plot twist/take on the love triangle trope."
June 28, 2018 –
52.0% "I'm curious to see how the author gives Kjell his inevitable HEA in a satisfying way because currently I can't say that I'm rooting for him."
November 12, 2018 –