Mary Drover's Reviews > Locke & Key, Vol. 1: Welcome to Lovecraft

Locke & Key, Vol. 1 by Joe Hill

bookshelves: horror

Unsurprisingly, I loved this. I am 100% a Joe Hill fan, and will absolutely buy anything with his name on it at this point. I’ve been super hyped to get around to reading this, though, and it did not disappoint. Locke & Key follows three kids (Bode, Kinsey, Tyler) after the brutal murder of their father during their move to Keyhouse, a seriously badass-looking Gothic manor in Lovecraft, MA that has doors that do creepy things when used with the right key. Mainly, in this one, it turns people into ghosts when you walk through it.

The art in this was so good. This took me a few hours to read because I was so absorbed in the artwork and really wanted to spend my time sitting with it. The story was super weird and set some really good building blocks for the story as a whole. I’m definitely getting volume two the next time I’m out bookshopping. I had so many questions coming out of this, which I liked because I knew there was more. Hill manages to still weave his excellent storytelling through a different (and shorter) medium, and volume one is like the setting of a grand stage. Big, weird, creepy things are coming, and I can’t wait.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Locke & Key, Vol. 1.

June 25, 2018 – Shelved