Brittany (The Book Addict's Guide/Novelly Yours)'s Reviews > An Unwanted Guest

An Unwanted Guest by Shari Lapena

Initial Impressions 12/30/18: This was such an interesting read! I always love reading mysteries or thrillers where I'm not quite sure what's going on. Shari Lapena did a great job at not revealing too much suspicion too early, and then once it started to arise, to cast it around really evenly to put a lot of doubt on the pages, never being too sure who to trust. At one point, I had no idea who was the murderer so I started to form all kinds of hair-brained ideas extending to psychological "everyone is the murderer" tropes that get played out so often. The ending was surprising and satisfying!

I also really loved this wintery setting. A snow storm was the perfect way to lock the guests of this hotel in, adding in the loss of power, unable to leave or maintain footprints because of the ice, and the antique nature of the hotel lending even less technology or modern conveniences, preventing the suspects from getting answers too easily. I also waited to read this book in the winter so it made it even more atmospheric (even though there wasn't a lot of snow on the ground when I read it).

I feel like the narration could have been a bit smoother and it took me out of the novel just a little bit. Some of it felt forced and choppy (I sometimes have trouble when authors don't use contractions in order to keep the narration formal when it just doesn't seem natural) so that was really the only thing I didn't connect with throughout the book.

It was quite a solid read with a good mystery and I really enjoyed it!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read An Unwanted Guest.

June 25, 2018 – Shelved
December 25, 2018 –
page 93
December 29, 2018 –
page 136
46.9% ""The idea that it's one of them is ludicrous, like something out of a novel." *breaks fourth wall to grin at audience*"
December 30, 2018 – Finished Reading