Kathy - Books & Munches's Reviews > My Whole Truth

My Whole Truth by Mischa Thrace

bookshelves: arc-s, favorites, read-in-2018

BE AWARE OF THE TRIGGERS, because there are quite a few and I'm mentioning them in my review too. Another thing I'm mentioning right now is that this is the story of a survivor, written by a survivor and this review is also written by a survivor. Had to be said.

I started reading this novel about an hour before bed time and I ended up going to sleep.. three hours late and halfway through My Whole Truth. I couldn't stop reading at all. I tried, honestly. But I just couldn't fall asleep because I had to know what happened next. That rarely happens!

The story starts right after Seelie, our main character, escaped her attacker by hitting him on the head with a mallet. After that, everything spirals out of control. She ends up in the hospital, telling half-truths and not admitting to anyone - even herself - what exactly happened. I needed to know what had happened to her. You immediately get an idea of what could've gone down - being sexual assault - but in a way, you keep second-guessing it because some things just.. didn't add up for me. I was intrigued and curious to see what had taken place.

My dreams are a punishment punctuated with flashes of gore and monsters with faces like the insides of cherries.

That curiosity is what you need in a mystery novel like this one. If you're not curious about the outcome, or about what exactly happened in the past, the book's not well-written and this one is. The fast pace, the little snippets of information you get, the problems and situations Seelie has to face: it all works perfectly and kept a hold on me throughout the entire book.

Another aspect I really liked is how Mischa gave Seelie the perfect support system. Even though they don't know everything that happened, you can see and feel how her friends want to help her through anything coming her way.
Her friends - which she calls "the faction", consists of three unique characters. Each has their own characteristics, beliefs and pasts, which are shown throughout the novel. They do struggle with each other, but what friends don't? It made their friendship all the more real to me. And that's not even mentioning the slow burn f/f romance. It feels absolutely perfect since Seelie definitely has plenty on her plate and the focus should not be on romance. I loved how the author knew this and let their relationship grow accordingly.

My brain can't convince my tongue to form the words, so they go unspoken. I bypass it completely, as if not saying it might make it so it never happened.

HUGE SPOILER IN NEXT PART. SKIP TO NEXT QUOTE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO READ ABOUT IMPORTANT TRIGGER WARNINGS.

I already mentioned one huge trigger, sexual assault, but there are more. They're at the top of my review, but I do feel like pointing them out again because they are important. They're huge triggers for a lot of people. Victim-blaming, mental health, bullying, murder, mention of drug-dealing and the biggest one of all - abortion. I didn't know about any of these triggers going in and, for once, I honestly didn't mind. I saw most things coming. Even though it wasn't easy reading about certain subjects - I already wrote a post on my blog in the past regarding the sexual assault I survived - and my pregnant state on top of that, I still feel this story was worth reading.
On one hand, I'd like to go further into the one trigger I left in white, but.. let's keep it at "people can view this part of the book differently since it has a lot to do with one's own principles, beliefs and past." I believe it has to be present in the book, I can see why others would think differently but this is my review.

We are a chain of broken people trying to keep one another from drowning.

There was only one thing annoying me somewhat and that's Seelie's relationship with her mom. To say it's strained is a definite understatement. There isn't much love lost between those two and.. of course, that's entirely possible. What annoyed me is how we never get a decent explanation as to why this is the case. Why do they pretty much hate each other? Why is their relationship the way it is? What happened exactly to ruin a mother-daughter bond so thoroughly? There are some vague hints given but.. It wasn't enough to satisfy my curiosity.

I am so afraid of what the truth will to do us.

I can only conclude that this is a book worth reading. It's the story of a survivor, written by a survivor. Stories like this one are important, worth sharing and I'm so, so happy to find this book one I can absolutely agree with. Yes, I'm ordering myself a finished copy. I need this on my shelves.

4.5/5

I received an ecopy of this novel through NetGalley. All opinions in this review are entirely, completely mine and have not been influenced by anyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Whole Truth.

June 24, 2018 – Shelved