Kotryna's Reviews > Visual Methodologies: An Introduction to Researching with Visual Materials

Visual Methodologies by Gillian Rose

liked it

The book covers so much of everything, that it is basically just a huge literature review referring to many other sources on visual research methodologies (from imagery as a method to imagery as data and everything in between). Very academic. Very structured, though not an instruction on how to do the research. I didn't find it particularly helpful (or interesting), but it does introduce a very specific terminology, broad bibliography, and some other hints for further research.

I am a postgraduate student with a decade of professional experience in visual communication, and I would say this book strikes a note somewhere between MA and Ph.D.; also might be useful for those researching visuals in their professional practices (scenographers, advertisers, designers, creative directors, artists, etc) and aiming for a greater depth, but again - only as a starting point for further reading.

P.S. if you buy it, buy the 4th edition, as it is updated with additional chapters about the digital era.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Visual Methodologies.

June 24, 2018 – Shelved