Hugh's Reviews > Men Without Women: Stories

Men Without Women by Haruki Murakami

bookshelves: read-2019, modern-lit

I read a lot of Murakami when I was younger but I have not read a new one since deciding that I couldn't face 1Q84. So this is the first I have read in the four years since joining GoodReads, and although I found these stories enjoyable to read, I don't think they are his best work and they won't change anyone's mind about him. I recall one GoodReads friend saying that Murakami is incapable of describing female characters without mentioning their breasts, and yes, there are plenty of those gratuitous references here too.

This collection consists of seven stories ranging in length from 17 pages (the title story, and the final one) to an almost novella-length 40 pages. His subjects are all men, of various ages and backgrounds, and they all suffer from different forms of loneliness. For me the most interesting was Samsa, a sort of sequel to Kafka's Metamorphosis but reversed so that Gregor Samsa wakes as a human with no human memory, effectively reversing the story.

An enjoyable collection but not an essential one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Men Without Women.

June 24, 2018 – Shelved
February 21, 2019 – Started Reading
February 21, 2019 –
page 40
February 23, 2019 –
page 145
February 24, 2019 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Magdelanye (new)

Magdelanye But 1Q84 is one of his best, and just read Killing Commendatore which was a lot of fun. I like his longer works best.

message 2: by Hugh (last edited Feb 25, 2019 04:13AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Hugh Magdelanye wrote: "But 1Q84 is one of his best, and just read Killing Commendatore which was a lot of fun. I like his longer works best."
The longest one I have read was The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, which I did quite like. It was mainly the sheer length that put me off 1Q84, but also the sense that the more of his books I read, the less they surprised me.