Crystal's Reviews > Ingo

Ingo by Helen Dunmore

Dec 05, 2011

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy, paranormal

What an enchanting book! Not since the Harry Potter series have I read a young adult urban fantasy book that blends the line between the fantasy and "real" world so smoothly. Perhaps it's because Ingo is real too?
I felt like each of the characters was skillfully drawn, with a sharp understanding of who they were, but with room to grow. I could relate to both Sapphy and Conor. Their dad, for as long as he was around, was a nice guy, and their mom is a nice enough person with a lot of responsibility on her. I'm not sure I'd be different, given the circumstances. Roger is nice enough, and Sadie is a great dog. Even Granny Carne, while a little intimidating, is still fascinating.
It took me longer to warm up to Faro and Elvira, perhaps exactly because that's the way you're supposed to feel. Ingo, as a world, is both fascinating, mesmerizing, and slightly menacing. I really didn't know how the book would turn out until close to the end. I love that there was enough resolution to end the book well, but not so much there's no room for more books. I am looking forward to the next few books in this series. This was an utterly charming book.

I also appreciated the subtle environmental commentary. It wasn't heavy handed, and was, I thought, a pretty realistic view of things that have happened/ been done to the ocean by humans. Perhaps if we could see ourselves from a different perspective, we would reconsider some of our actions and policies.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ingo.

December 5, 2011 – Started Reading