Bonnie's Reviews > Sacré Bleu: A Comedy d'Art

Sacré Bleu by Christopher Moore

it was ok
bookshelves: 2012-books, humor

I was so bitterly unhappy when this didn't end with Lucien stabbing Juliette in the neck.

Juliette - and this is really not giving that much away since it's obvious from pretty early on but possible spoilers for those who care - is a demonic/vampiric creature ("muse") who can possess bodies (she primarily chooses women, but I'm still not sure if that's exclusive or just a preference). This possession is in the pursuit of "art" - the possessed woman serves as the inspiration for artists to create a work of art (in the 1890s, that means painting) in the sacred blue color. This inspiration leads to periods of lost time and memory in both the painter and the possessed woman and - eventually - death for both of them. I put art in quotations back there because whatever Juliette says, she's really doing this because it's what keeps her immortal and she cares much more for her own life than anyone else's. That's why she's a demon/vampire - a demon for her possession skill, a vampire because she uses the lives of others to fuel her own immortality. Also, note that she becomes the "ideal" woman of whichever artist she's trying to inspire and in whatever body she's wearing she is without fail sexy, flirty, seductive and fun. Her role is to be the male fantasy and she is - both the act she plays and the character as written.

Lucien is a typical Moore protagonist - an affable, sarcastic every-boy who wins the jackpot by having his ideal girl (Juliette) fall in love with him (I think there is a loose definition of love going on here). Why is Lucien so special that a muse picks him? Dunno. This whole book is male fantasy, so I think it's one of those "just go with it things."

Moore is trying to write a humor book and will often go for the joke above anything else. Problem is, I didn't find anything particularly funny (though some jokes were mildly amusing - especially those involving the mule). While I don't mind the odd penis or sex joke, Moore goes overboard here. One running joke is that the Colored Man (the guy who makes/sells the sacred blue color) delights in exposing himself to his servants. Hilarity!

I think what made Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal work was that it had a character with real heart (obviously, that was Jesus). Here there's no character like that - they're all at least mildly aggravating. That's why I wanted Lucien to stab Juliette in the neck (long story about why that's so specific - I think that's the only way he could successfully kill her. Okay, short story). I wanted him to be the good guy here. I wanted him to take a look at this woman who killed people and kidnapped people's bodies (and it's a bit squicky that she used the bodies to mainly have sex with people these women didn't know and didn't remember) and not help her just so she could be immortal. I wanted him to be like, "Hell no demon woman, I'm going to protect future generations from you." *neckstab."
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sacré Bleu.

December 5, 2011 – Shelved