Angela's Reviews > The Three-Body Problem

The Three-Body Problem by Liu Cixin

I'm going to quote the Publisher's Weekly synopsis here: "...[an] intricate and imaginative novel by one of China’s most celebrated genre writers. In 1967, physics professor Ye Zhetai is killed after he refuses to denounce the theory of relativity. His daughter, Ye Wenjie, witnesses his gruesome death. Shortly after, she’s falsely charged with sedition for promoting the works of environmentalist Rachel Carson, and told she can avoid punishment by working at a defense research facility involved with the search for extraterrestrial intelligence. More than 40 years later, Ye’s work becomes linked to a string of physicist suicides and a complex role-playing game involving the classic physics problem of the title."

Excellent work. That complex game and the detailed description of its play take up several chapters of this novel. They were probably the hardest for me to get through -- I am not a gamer and I don't care about video games. At. All. But these chapters serve to advance the plot, they're relatively interesting (I'm aware some folks find them "awesome") and, eventually, the implications of each game-playing session become clear. (view spoiler)

I am not a scientist by any stretch of the imagination. But the author and translator did an excellent job of explaining astrophysics to the unwashed masses (that means me), and I was able to follow enough of the science and reasoning to make sense of the direction of the plot. Plus the sheer educational value of the history of the Cultural Revolution, of which I knew nothing, made this a worthwhile read. I'm looking forward to the second book of the series, as soon as it becomes available at my library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Three-Body Problem.

June 23, 2018 – Started Reading
June 23, 2018 – Shelved
June 24, 2018 –
50.0% "Author and translator have done an excellent job of explaining astrophysics to the unwashed masses (me)."
June 24, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
June 24, 2018 – Shelved as: e-book
June 24, 2018 – Shelved as: library-books
June 24, 2018 – Shelved as: part-of-a-series
June 24, 2018 – Shelved as: sf-award-nominees
June 24, 2018 – Shelved as: translated-into-english
June 29, 2018 –
80.0% "Huh. This went in a totally unexpected direction. Cool."
July 1, 2018 – Finished Reading