Nicola Smith's Reviews > The Heat is On

The Heat is On by Helen Bridgett

I was a big fan of the first outing for The Mercury Travel Club, so I couldn't wait to get back to Angie, Patty and co. As with most books in a series, it took me just a little bit of time to remind myself who everyone was and what had happened before but I was soon settled in and loving being back with these engaging characters.

So, Angie and Charlie are running their travel business and doing a grand job of it with the help of Josie, who comes up with all sorts of ways of getting people signed up for their trips. Angie's relationship with Michael is bobbing along ok and Patty, Angie's slightly mad best friend, is with Jack. All is well until, that is, a new travel agency, filled with technology and delights to entice any customer, comes along and opens up bang opposite Mercury.

I really felt for Angie. She'd put her all into Mercury and is devastated to think that she might lose it. Heck, I was devastated for her! But I loved all the ways she, Charlie and everyone else, came up with to try and keep their beloved business going. I won't say whether it works or not but let's just say that all was concluded satisfactorily. I said in my review for The Mercury Travel Club that Helen Bridgett ought to go into business herself with her wonderful ideas and I stand by that as once again she's come up with some corkers. I'd love to go on one of the trips myself, especially the treasure trail.

There are a cast of characters that really work here and I'd be very happy to read more about them in the future. Some are wacky (Patty and Angie's mum in particular), some are kind (Jack and Michael), some put their all into whatever they do (Angie and Charlie), but all are fabulously well-rounded individuals who add their own special something to the story.

The Heat is On made me smile a lot. It's warm, it's feel-good, it's fun, even riotously so at times. It's about comradeship, finding love and starting all over again. Helen Bridgett's stories are an absolute pleasure to read. I do hope we'll meet Angie and co again in more Mercury adventures.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Heat is On.

Finished Reading