Michelle [Helen Geek]'s Reviews > Jacked Up

Jacked Up by Erin McCarthy

Dec 05, 2011

bookshelves: nook-tbr, 4-star
Recommended for: An okay read.
Read from June 27 to 28, 2012

4 Stars

This was a quick read by the pool. I loved this series and based on the lack of a teaser about the next in the series, it sounds like the author may not continue with it. We get a bit of a Rhett tease, but we are not given enough to really warm to him, so not sure what she'll do. She has a book blurb in the back for a "ghost" story. Read it and won't buy it. Ugh... What is it with the whole "Ghost an Mrs. Muir" thing everyone tries. Yuck... [coming off of Kristen Ashley's "Lacybourne Manor" = 3 Stars by me and I was generous].

Erin McCarthy, I've read some of her other books, and just didn't like them as much. Her racing characters were captivating. I think the elements she captured of racing very good and had wished for me. I'm not a huge race fan, but if you are going to have a themed book, you should do more than tease. The sport should be a character in the book. I think this author just teases, either because she knows only enough to be dangerous, or she has space constraints.

Not my favorite in the series. Eve came off a being a bit crazy neurotic. I really liked Nolan. He seemed very sure of himself. He was very different from Eve, but seemed really good for her. How he put up with her nutty [not in a good way] personality was a bit amazing. She was definitely a bit high maintenance, but he kept it together and made this story - my opinion only.

Happy Reading!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Available Jun 5 - preorder only now.

Mine now!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Jacked Up.

message 1: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly This book is on my to-read list, and I was glad to read your review,Michelle!
I have enjoyed Erin McCarthys racing books, and I plan to read the entire series.
However, I'm with you concerning your take on the Ghost-thing with some authors. I saw some of McCarthy's Ghost themed books in the library, and my intuition just told me I wouldnt like them. I dont know why, but the whole ghost thing just isnt very believable. Its like a realistic fiction-horror wannabe or something. Or like trying to pair a sexy romance with the X-Men theme. Too much of a stretch,maybe? I dont know why this dosent work for me. I would be glad to read anything you write on this issue...

As always, I appreciate your reviews!
So glad youre home safely. I plan to write more in a private email soon.
Wishing you good reading!

Michelle [Helen Geek] Thanks Holly. I've read others by this author not of this series and wasn't impressed. It will be interesting to see what she can do. I will wait for others to go first though..

message 3: by Holly (new) - added it

Holly You're just confirming what I thought, so thanks for that. When Michelle agrees with me, then I know I'm on the right track!!! Sometimes an author will try to branch out into other genres and its just not as good.
But maybe they want a change from their usual.
I am willing to try new stuff, but I still like the tried and true better.
Right now I'm switching between Julie Garwood and Jane Anne Krentz. 2 heavyweights in the world of romance. Some of the books these 2 wrote in the 90s were spectacular. Its amazing how a really great story that is written with good strong characters will eclipse the sex any day! (although poorly written sex is just awful)
As much as I love erotica, its the great writing with a great plot, etc. that carries the weight for me.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann Great review. Been wondering about this series. May give it a try.

Michelle [Helen Geek] Ann - I liked other books in the series better. Overall, really good. If you have a Nook, I may be able to Lend them?

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann If you think this one is a 4 star and you like the others better - sounds good to me. Appreciate the lend offer, but I've got a kindle, thanks!.

message 7: by Richa (new)

Richa Great review, Michelle! :)