MELISSA *Mel Reader*'s Reviews > Slay: Rivalry

Slay by Laurelin Paige

bookshelves: arcs

4.5 Stars!
(ARC provided by author/Candi Kane PR)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Celia Werner grew up an only child as a trust fund baby. She’s now a blond bombshell living in New York working as an interior designer. Over the years she’s been manipulative often exploiting the weaknesses of others for sport. Her past made her feel numb and emotionless, and she often wondered if she no longer had a soul. Then she encounters a man named Edward Fasbender, and he stirs something inside her, and makes her feel unbalanced. She was closed off and it had been so long since she’d felt anything. Edward excited her. He was a powerful, ruthless, wickedly attractive British businessman who owned a multimillion-dollar London based company. He was her father’s main competitor and rival. He was ambitious, calculating, arrogant, and irresistible. He’s a man who takes what he wants, and when he approaches her with an intriguing proposition, she can’t resist taking him on, and she secretly makes plans to bring him to his knees.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Edward has set the rules, and Celia is committed to playing the game. She’d always remained detached, separate, and safe with men, but this one rattled her like no other. He was clever and enjoyed riling her up. The energy between them was like a live wire, charged and electric. He was captivating, and hypnotizing. She’d never let anyone have complete control and power over her like this. Suddenly there was this deep need inside her to have this man. She wanted him badly, and was desperate for his touch. He was alluring, and set her on fire with one kiss. Soon she was confused and felt vulnerable. She couldn’t decide anymore if she wanted to destroy him or win him. Could this dangerous, controlling man breach the walls she’d built around her heart?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

-How often did I meet someone as dauntless as I was? I'd never encountered someone who was more so.

-His presence was overpowering. Overwhelming. Unsettling.

-He was the kind of man who had to be in charge. The kind of man who would slay me in every way if I let him.

-With extreme alarm, I realized I liked the thought of trying to please this intolerable man.

-His kiss was everything. Everything that I didn't own, didn't possess. Everything outside of me and unknown to me. Every single thing, and it threatened to fill me, threatened to erase the very nothing that I professed and practiced to be with its substance. With its wholeness. With its entirety. With its everything.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Slay: Rivalry is book one in the Slay Quartet by Laurelin Paige. It’s sexy, dark, exciting, and addictive. I really enjoyed this book and loved getting Celia’s story. I can’t wait for more of this explosive couple!

***NOW AVAILABLE***

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Slay.

June 22, 2018 – Shelved