Julie's Reviews > Then She Was Gone

Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell

bookshelves: 2018, e-book, overdrive, scribd, british-mystery

Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell is a 2018 Atria Books publication.

Well, this was certainly different!

Missing persons tropes are common in mysteries and thrillers, and the theme has been written and explored in many predictable ways, but also in many clever, even shocking ways. But, no matter how it is presented, it is a scenario that never fails to draw me in. But, I must say, this novel puts an entirely new and fresh spin on the missing persons mystery-

The story begins like so many others-

Ellie, a conscientious teenager, and the apple of her mother's eye, left to visit the library and was never seen or heard from again. Laurel, Ellie's mother, couldn’t understand how her other children and her husband were able to move on with their lives without knowing what happened to Ellie. Laurel's life stalled, her marriage fell apart and the relationship with her two remaining children is strained.

But, finally, after years of just going through the motions of life, Laurel meets Floyd, a single dad with a young daughter named Poppy. The connection between Laurel and Floyd is immediate and heady. But, when Laurel finally gets to meet Poppy, she is unnerved by the uncanny resemblance to her daughter, Ellie. She even smells like Ellie, which kicks Laurel's natural maternal instincts into high gear. This and another small coincidence, puts new thoughts into Laurel’s head, prompting her to do a little amateur sleuthing.

She never in a million years could have predicted the shocking revelations her inquiries would uncover or the personal epiphanies that would change Laurel's life forevermore. Is it possible that Laurel could, at long last, find all the answers about her daughter’s disappearance?

This story was very dark, gloomy, and creepy, but also quite emotional and poignant. Laurel's voice is so realististic, raw, and sympathetic, she nearly had me believing she was a real person and that this was a true story. Her emergence from a tortuous state of limbo and her fierce determination to get to the truth, and begin truly living life again was an amazing transformation.

I think Lisa Jewell has written a chilling novel of suspense, but it is also a book about the power of maternal love, forgiveness and healing and never giving up.

This could be Jewel’s first tentatives steps towards advancing up to the literary thriller category. I was impressed with this novel as it held my rapt attention from start to finish. It gave me goosebumps in more ways than one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Then She Was Gone.

April 19, 2018 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
April 19, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read (Kindle Edition)
June 22, 2018 – Started Reading
June 22, 2018 – Shelved
June 22, 2018 – Shelved as: 2018
June 28, 2018 – Shelved as: e-book
June 28, 2018 – Shelved as: overdrive
June 28, 2018 – Shelved as: scribd
June 28, 2018 – Shelved as: british-mystery
June 28, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 57 (57 new)

message 1: by KAS (new)

KAS Glad this one pulled you in and kept you right from the start! Fantastic review, Julie ;) 😍

message 2: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie KAS wrote: "Glad this one pulled you in and kept you right from the start! Fantastic review, Julie ;) 😍"

Thank you, KAS!! 😊💕

Bridget Great review!! So glad you enjoy it! It’s been one of my favorites of 2018!

message 4: by Michelle (new)

Michelle I agree with you, Julie--there is something universally appealing about the "missing person theme" excellent review!

message 5: by Kendall (new) - added it

Kendall Fab review Julie! This one is on my list! 😊

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Yay, Julie! Happy you loved this one! I have it on TBR mountain!

message 7: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader & Traveling Sister wrote: "Yay, Julie! Happy you loved this one! I have it on TBR mountain!"

Thank you, Jennifer!! I hope you enjoy it once you get around to reading it! 💕

message 8: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Kendall wrote: "Fab review Julie! This one is on my list! 😊"

Thank you, Kendall!! I'll be watching for your review! Enjoy!

message 9: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Michelle wrote: "I agree with you, Julie--there is something universally appealing about the "missing person theme" excellent review!"

Thank you, Michelle! I keep thinking of how hard it would be not knowing what happened, but dreading the moment you find out, but still hoping for the best. Sounds gut-wrenching.

message 10: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Bridget That1BookGirl wrote: "Great review!! So glad you enjoy it! It’s been one of my favorites of 2018!"

Thank you, Bridget!! I was pleasantly surprised by this one. Definitely on my top reads of the year, so far!

Kaceey - Traveling Sister Fantastic review Julie! I really enjoyed this one too!😊

message 12: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Kaceey - Traveling Sister wrote: "Fantastic review Julie! I really enjoyed this one too!😊"

Thank you, Kaceey!! 😊

message 13: by Sandra (new) - added it

Sandra Fab review Julie! :-)

message 14: by Sandra (new)

Sandra This one does sound good. Nice review by the way 😊

Holly  B I loved this too! Great review Julie!

Michelle Awesome review, Julie! :) I thought this book was wonderful.

message 17: by Meredith (new) - added it

Meredith Yay, glad you loved this too! Great review, Julie!

Susanne Strong Awesome review Julie!

(Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas Glad you enjoyed this one. It's one I really want to read.

message 20: by Kristy (new) - added it

Kristy K Great review, Julie! I have this one on my list.

message 21: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Sandra wrote: "Fab review Julie! :-)"

Thank you, Sandra!! 💕

message 22: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Susanne wrote: "Awesome review Julie!"

Thank you, Susanne!! 💕

message 23: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Kristy wrote: "Great review, Julie! I have this one on my list."

Thank you, Kristy!! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!! 😊

message 24: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie (Bern) Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas wrote: "Glad you enjoyed this one. It's one I really want to read."

Thank you, Bern!! I hope you can squeeze it in soon!! Happy reading!! 😊

message 25: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Meredith wrote: "Yay, glad you loved this too! Great review, Julie!"

Thank you, Meredith!! 😊

message 26: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Michelle wrote: "Awesome review, Julie! :) I thought this book was wonderful."

Thank you, Michelle!! It was awesome! 😊

message 27: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Holly wrote: "I loved this too! Great review Julie!"

Thank you, Holly!! 😊

Antoinette Awesome review, Julie! I have this one, so will have to move it up.

message 29: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Sandra wrote: "This one does sound good. Nice review by the way 😊"

Thank you, Sandra!! I was a very pleasant surprise! 😊

Nicola Gipson Great review Julie!! I really enjoyed this too.

message 31: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Antoinette wrote: "Awesome review, Julie! I have this one, so will have to move it up."

Thank you, Antoinette! I'm looking forward to hearing your thoughts on it! Happy reading!!

message 32: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Nicola wrote: "Great review Julie!! I really enjoyed this too."

Thank you, Nicola! I'm glad you enjoyed it as well! 😊

message 33: by Jaline (new) - added it

Jaline Fabulous review, Julie! This is one I definitely want to read soon!! 😊

message 34: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Jaline wrote: "Fabulous review, Julie! This is one I definitely want to read soon!! 😊"

Thank you, Jaline!! 💕

message 35: by Debbie (new) - added it

Debbie Wonderful review, Julie! On my list. Thrillers are tricky for me, but this sounds exceptional.

message 36: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen This was a disturbing one! Glad you enjoyed it too, Julie. Nice review

message 37: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Debbie wrote: "Wonderful review, Julie! On my list. Thrillers are tricky for me, but this sounds exceptional."

Thank you, Debbie! This one is pretty dark, and sad, but the author just did an incredible job with the Laurel's character and the way the story evolved was very absorbing! It's a cut above, in my opinion. I hope you enjoy it.

message 38: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Jen wrote: "This was a disturbing one! Glad you enjoyed it too, Julie. Nice review"

Thank you, Jen! Oh, wow, was it ever. Flat out creepy.

message 39: by Deanna (new) - added it

Deanna Excellent review!! :)

message 40: by Rita (new) - added it

Rita Great review! I added it to my list.

message 41: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Rita wrote: "Great review! I added it to my list."

Thank you, Rita!! Enjoy!!

message 42: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Deanna wrote: "Excellent review!! :)"

Thank you, Deanna!!

message 43: by Alice (new) - added it

Alice Blanchard Great review! I've marked as "Want to read" :)

message 44: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Alice wrote: "Great review! I've marked as "Want to read" :)"

Thank you, Alice!! Happy reading!! 😊

Mackey Great review Julie - I thought it was terrific too.

message 46: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Mackey wrote: "Great review Julie - I thought it was terrific too."

Thank you, Mackey!! I'm happy to hear you enjoyed it as well.! 😊

Maureen Fantastic review, Julie! I loved it too!

Brenda - Traveling Sister Excellent review, Julie!

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Wonderful review, Julie! I loved it too!

message 50: by Tina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tina Great review Julie! I agree that this book is leading her more into the thriller genre. She's a great writer. Nice review!

« previous 1