Rachael's Reviews > I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer

I'll Be Gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara

I enjoyed this book as someone also obsessed with serial killers. The details were unsettling enough to keep me awake a few nights, convinced I heard noises outside my door. It will take a while for me to not think men are creeping around outside my house. I liked McNamara’s unflinching, brutally honest details. She doesn’t dramatize needlessly — the facts of the cases are already dramatic. She conveys the information about the crimes with enough heart and sensitivity, but without glossing over the brutality. One of my pet peeves in media reports about rape is that it’s called “sexual assault.” Men need to be called out on their violence and brutality and if they rape women, we need to know that. McNamara calls it as it is. But it’s clear she has a lot of respect and compassion for the victims and their families.

The only thing that threw me at times is the sheer amount of detail. I got a little lost tracking the GSK’s movements from one area to another. He committed so many crimes that I had a hard time keeping names straight. And sometimes McNamara waded into the weeds of small details (especially about DNA and how you can use ancestry databases to find people) and I got completely lost.

But overall this was a compelling read. I really liked the memoir segments when we learn about McNamara’s childhood and how she first became obsessed with crime. I got through the book quickly and couldn’t wait to sit down each night with it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I'll Be Gone in the Dark.

June 11, 2018 – Started Reading