Baba 's Reviews > Sinful

Recommended to Baba by: Karla Kristen

- Author unknown -

4 1/2 stars.

Sensually beautiful!

Matthew, Earl of Wallingford knows exactly what human nature consists of - temptation and physical pleasure. Matthew is a leader in things such as depravity and scandal and he avoids any emotional entanglements. He had a secret. A secret he had to hide. Sinful. Matthew says:

And then he meets plain Jane Rankin. Innocent Jane. Jane is a lady's companion by day and a nurse by night. She had never felt moved enough by a man to embark upon the journey that might enlighten her about the aspects of pleasure and passion - until Matthew. He said to Jane:

"His hands may have been the one to heal you, Jane. But it will be mine that awaken you."

"I want to make you weep with pleasure, Jane." He slid up the length of her luscious body. "I want to take your tears away on my lips and keep them with me forever. And after, I want to paint you like this, with the shadows on your body and the remnants of pleasure casting a glow over your body."

Jane is full of wisdom:

"I offer you forgiveness, if that is what you seek, but more important, I give you my understanding. That is the beauty of being human, I think, to understand another's pain, as though it were our own."

What a beautiful and heartfelt story! Matthew is a dark, tortured soul - a bleeding soul. I loved his protectiveness and passion he felt for Jane. On top of that, he's a gorgeous and handsome hunk! Yum!
I think that Jane was the backbone of Sinful, though. I adored her! She was strong, independent, and full of wisdom. She's a person of honesty, integrity, and worth. Jane is not a beauty by society's standards, yet it was her mind that counted, not her physical appearance. The colorless bird turned out to be a rather stunning woman! She unraveled the mysterious Matthew, and she showed him how to be intimate, how to love and open up his heart. Again.
I loved the build-up and the whole process that led to their first "real" intimate encounter. It was so worth the wait. Quite impressive! The sex/love scenes are beautifully written. They are very sensual and erotic. Further, it was wonderful to recognize how Matthew discovered Jane's loveliness - even her very special beauty. He saw beyond the spectacles and her severe manner of dress and he recognized the beauty within. When you love someone you truly look beyond any physical appearance!

What didn't quite work for me:
(view spoiler)

I really love the author's voice. The prose is beautiful! Overall, Sinful is a wonderful, passionate love story with amazing characters. Highly recommended!

I strongly advise you to read the epilogue
Sinful: Epilogue

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sinful.

December 5, 2011 – Shelved
January 4, 2012 – Started Reading
January 4, 2012 – Shelved as: historicals
January 4, 2012 – Shelved as: erotica-or-erotic-romance
January 4, 2012 –
21.0% ""I am a creature of darkness, whose element is night and shadows. I belong in the dark with the other sinful creatures." I don't think so, Matthew. And I'm sure that Jane is going to show you the light..."
January 5, 2012 –
74.0% ""...I offer you forgiveness, if that is what you seek, but more important, I give you my understanding. That is the beauty of being human, I think, to understand another's pain, as though it were our own." There are so many quotes that fit the heroine. Here is one: "You don't love a woman because she is beautiful, but she is beautiful because you love her." Author unknown"
January 5, 2012 –
84.0% "Wow, I didn't see THAT coming..."
January 5, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Jill (new)

Jill Looking forward to your review Baba.
Did you read the Epilogue?

Baba  Jill wrote: "Looking forward to your review Baba.

No, Jill, I haven't read it yet. But that's about to change!
I had 3 "problems" with Sinful and you could say that a proper epilogue is one of them. The ending was too rushed and abrupt for my liking.

message 3: by Jill (new)

Jill Baba wrote: "Jill wrote: "Looking forward to your review Baba.

No, Jill, I haven't read it yet. But that's about to change!
I had 3 "problems" with Sinful and you could say that a p..."

Oh, I agree. But if you go to CF's website she does explain about the rushed ending and Epilogue. Nevertheless when I read Sinful I wanted the Epilogue there and then to feel like the story had reached completion.

Baba  Jill wrote: "Baba wrote: "Jill wrote: "Looking forward to your review Baba.

No, Jill, I haven't read it yet. But that's about to change!
I had 3 "problems" with Sinful and you could..."

Exactly, Jill!

message 5: by Lenore (new)

Lenore Beautiful review, Baba. I'm not a big fan of historical romance but this seems interesting.

Baba  Mary Elizabeth wrote: "gr8 review Baba !! tu m'as donné envie de le lire :)"

Merci beaucoup, Mary Elizabeth! Alors, vas-y!!! Je pense que tu ne le regretteras pas. :))

message 7: by Baba (last edited Jan 05, 2012 03:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Baba  Lenore wrote: "Beautiful review, Baba. I'm not a big fan of historical romance but this seems interesting."

Thanks, Lenore and yes, usually I'm not into historicals either. But Sinful is sinfully beautiful. Give it a try! :) I'll be reading more by this author.

message 8: by Jill (new)

Jill Excellent review Baba. And I agree with the three things that didn't work for you. (view spoiler)

Baba  Mary Elizabeth wrote: "ok You win :) I've added it to the huuuuuuuge pile !! je te tiens au courant. xo"

J'espère bien, Mary Elizabeth! LOL

Baba  Jill wrote: "Excellent review Baba. And I agree with the three things that didn't work for you. [spoilers removed]"

Thanks, Jill! And what you mentioned...I think it's understandable then again, I just don't like it. Whatever, it was so worthwhile! :)

Midsummer ❁◕‿◕❁ That's a fabulous and detailed review!

I will be sure to read the epilogue when I'm reading this book.

Cheers

Baba  Midsummer wrote: "That's a fabulous and detailed review!

I will be sure to read the epilogue when I'm reading this book.

Cheers"

Thank you, Midsummer! I'm reading it right now and it's beautiful! Will post the link (it's free). :)

Midsummer ❁◕‿◕❁ Thanks in advance Baba! Weekend's coming! There are so many books to read and so little time.. LOLZ

Baba  Midsummer wrote: "Thanks in advance Baba! Weekend's coming! There are so many books to read and so little time.. LOLZ"

Always the same old, same old! LOL Enjoy your reading time!

Baba  Alyssa wrote: "I'm so glad that you liked this book Barbara- it's definitely a favorite, and I think Matthew is absolutely drool-worthy! :) ...you definitely have to read the epilogue like Jill mentioned- I too f..."

Just finished the epilogue too, Alyssa!

Baba  Alyssa wrote: "Baba wrote: "Alyssa wrote: "I'm so glad that you liked this book Barbara- it's definitely a favorite, and I think Matthew is absolutely drool-worthy! :) ...you definitely have to read the epilogue ..."

Absolutely!

Karla Great review Baba. I agree with you, Jane was the backbone of the book. She was fabulous, and Matthew's salvation. I'm happy that you got to read the epilogue. It wraps ups the book nicely. There is also a short in an anthology, The Wedding of Century, that gives you a glimpse of Matthew in the future. Very enjoyable.

Kristen Wonderful review, Baba. I love the quote! I'm so happy you liked the book.

Wendy Awesome review Baba! So glad you enjoyed it. It's a real keeper this one and definitely my fave.

Baba  Karla wrote: "Great review Baba. I agree with you, Jane was the backbone of the book. She was fabulous, and Matthew's salvation. I'm happy that you got to read the epilogue. It wraps ups the book nicely. There i..."

Thanks, Karla! I know it's just my opinion but I think it was a rather huge mistake that the epilogue was not included in the book.

Baba  Kristen wrote: "Wonderful review, Baba. I love the quote! I'm so happy you liked the book."

Thank you, Kristen! When I was reading this book I had to think of you since I knew how much you loved this story and the sinfully handsome Matthew! I was thinking "do not disappoint Kristen, do not disappoint Kristen...over and over again" LOL
I'm glad too that I ended up lovin' it!

Baba  Wendy wrote: "Awesome review Baba! So glad you enjoyed it. It's a real keeper this one and definitely my fave."

Thanks, Wendy! I'm happy too because I really needed a great story since my latest read was totally boring and dull. :))

message 23: by Kristen (last edited Jan 06, 2012 10:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristen Baba wrote: "Kristen wrote: "Wonderful review, Baba. I love the quote! I'm so happy you liked the book."

Oh Baba, you are so sweet!! However, if you wouldn't of liked the book it would have been no big deal. Some books just don't work for us. Plus, there are things about this book that will not work for some readers. I had a hard time with the mistress issue, too. A very hard time with it, in fact. Not to mention, I was shocked, and I mean shocked, then mad that Ms. Featherstone actually had the hero (view spoiler) Hello! You just don't do that in HEA romance books! At least not the ones I like to read. Unfortunately, the situation was very common for Matthew's station and during that era. My goodness, it was even common 30 years ago—Prince Charles and Camilla proved that!
I also think it was important for Jane's character. She had to come to terms and deal with her own issues of what being a mistress meant to her. This book wasn't black and white. It was life with all it's gray colors. Okay, I could go on and on about this book. Lol. As you can tell, I've thought about and dissected this story, a lot. Haha.

Anyway, glad you liked it, Baba, and it worked for you.

Baba  Kristen wrote: "Baba wrote: "Kristen wrote: "Wonderful review, Baba. I love the quote! I'm so happy you liked the book."

LOL, Kristen! Yes, I agree with everything you mentioned. I have to admit that this whole (view spoiler) influenced my rating. It didn't appeal to me. But overall the story is sinfully beautiful! :))

message 25: by Taryn (new) - added it

Taryn Matthew seems like an asshole...is he? I like asshole's and jerk heroes....don't ask why because I don't know! LOL

Kristen Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "Matthew seems like an asshole...is he? I like asshole's and jerk heroes....don't ask why because I don't know! LOL"

message 27: by Taryn (new) - added it

Taryn Kristen wrote: "Yes, he is. He's wonderful though. I'm not sure what it is about him I love so much but I just adore him. "

YES! Thanks!

Baba  Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "Matthew seems like an asshole...is he? I like asshole's and jerk heroes....don't ask why because I don't know! LOL"

He had his "moments", Taryn! Sometimes he annoyed me but as Kristen said he is wonderful too! I think you'd like this story.

message 29: by KatLynne (new) - added it

KatLynne Wonderful review Baba! I am looking forward to reading this one! As I mentioned, I had planned to read this one next, but The Promise of Jenny Jones is due back soon at the library and I think it's calling my name:-)

Baba  KatLynne wrote: "Wonderful review Baba! I am looking forward to reading this one! As I mentioned, I had planned to read this one next, but The Promise of Jenny Jones is due back soon at the library an..."

Thanks, KatLynne! And no problems, take your time! Aw, let me tell you that I'm already in love with Coop! Kristen Ashley is a creed! *sigh*

Karla Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "Matthew seems like an asshole...is he? I like asshole's and jerk heroes....don't ask why because I don't know! LOL"

God Taryn, I just love you...LMAO...you just crack me up!! You express yourself so well. I have no doubt you will adore Matthew!

message 32: by Taryn (new) - added it

Taryn Well...thanks, Karla. :) I don't know how else to say it except like that! LOL But that's what he sounds like, an asshole. Realllly looking forward to this book now!

Kristen Taryn, you might want to consider reading Addicted first. It will make Sinful and Matthew that much better! :D

message 34: by Taryn (new) - added it

Taryn I couldn't get into that one. Maybe because I'm not into historical right now... But I will try it again eventually.

Kristen Taryn-does it have romance? wrote: "I couldn't get into that one. Maybe because I'm not into historical right now... But I will try it again eventually."

I know what you mean about needing to be in the mood for certain books. Sometimes I'm in the mood for erotic and no matter how good, say a paranormal may be, I just can't get into the story.

message 36: by Taryn (new) - added it

Taryn The time will come and I will be reading HR's again. But right now I am really into D/s books....which is strange because it's not my normal thing but I can't stop reading them.

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Great review, Baba. I loved this book... it was so, so emotional.

Baba  UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Great review, Baba. I loved this book... it was so, so emotional."

Thanks, Dhes! I agree, it was a powerful and special story!