Melanie's Reviews > Enchantée

Enchantée by Gita Trelease

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy, historical, young-adult, arc, read-in-2018, buddy-reads

ARC provided by Flatiron in exchange for an honest review.

“Remember—magic is a cheater’s game, and everyone who sees it wants to play.”

Enchantée is a book that is set in historical Paris, during 1789, but this is a version of Paris unlike any other. Yes, the French Revolution is beginning, and the people are starving and rioting, while Marie Antoinette and other aristocrats ignore their pleas. But some people in this alternative history are able to wield magic to help make their lives a little easier.

In this world, there are three different types of magic:
Magie Ordinaire - changing things
Glamoire - changing oneself
Magie Bibelot - making objects sentient

This book stars Camille, a young girl able to wield magic, but is very scared to get caught because the stakes are so high. Yet, she still turns magic into scrap metal so that they have a little money to live off of. But her younger sister Sophie is not in the best of health, and both of their parents have just died to smallpox. The only person who is supposed to be looking out for them is their older brother, Alain, who is drinking and gambling away what little money they do have.

But when Camille helps out a couple hot air balloon makers, then she finds a magical dress that is hidden away in a secret trunk, and she ends up taking her and her sisters future into her own hands and will stop at nothing to ensure their health and safety. From there, she throws herself into a world of aristocracy, filled with nobles who do not even realize the food they are wasting while people in the streets are starving.

I wanted to love this so much, friends. But sadly, it just fell so very short for me. I felt like the author was trying to cram so many important things that happened in France in that time into this book, while also trying to write her own story, and both elements just made this entire story feel disjointed and left a lot to be desired. And honestly? Even my synopsis of this book sounds a lot better than the book actually is.

I was so bored throughout. I just kept waiting for something more exciting to happen, but it never did. The twists and turns were so predictable and so lackluster. And them ignoring the gross behavior that Alain displayed made me so angry. And their constant views on sex workers made my eyes almost roll out of my head completely. Oh, and the villain was straight up from a comic, twirling his mustache, I swear!

I will say that one of the main side characters, Lazare, is biracial (Indian and French) and he does have a really good discussion about how he feels like the French never let him forget that he isn’t white. I really appreciated that. I also appreciated that Camille was willing to do whatever it took to care for Sophie. You all know I’m always here for good sibling relationships. But besides these two elements? I really didn’t enjoy this one.

I’m so sorry, friends! I do feel like I’ve been really not enjoying a lot of the historical stories I’ve read in 2018, so maybe you will enjoy this a lot more than I did. A lot of my friends have actually given this one really high praise, too. But I’m wishing you all happy reading, always.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Youtube | Twitch

The quote above was taken from an ARC and is subject to change upon publication.

Content and trigger warnings for degrading comments about women (I honestly feel like I read the word “whore” at least twenty times), slut shaming, physical abuse, emotional abuse, verbal abuse, illness of a loved one, alcoholism, gambling addiction, loss of a loved one, blood depictions.

Buddy read with Mia at Pens and Parchment, Amy at A Court of Crowns and Quills, & Kayla at Books and Blends! ❤

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enchantée.

June 22, 2018 – Shelved
November 1, 2018 – Shelved as: read-in-2018
November 10, 2018 – Started Reading
November 10, 2018 – Shelved as: buddy-reads
November 15, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)

message 1: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Ahh so jealous!! Can't wait to read that book

Melanie Heather wrote: "Ahh so jealous!! Can't wait to read that book"

I hope we both love it, Heather! 💛xx

Kaya Oh, I hope you enjoy!!! I can't wait to see your review, I'm really highly anticipating this one❤️

Melanie Kaya wrote: "Oh, I hope you enjoy!!! I can't wait to see your review, I'm really highly anticipating this one❤️"

Awh, thank you, beautiful! I'll let you know! I hope you're having the happiest of reading! 💕xx

Alexandra I'm reading this too! It seems to have mostly good reviews so i'm hopeful for it :D

Catherine Oh, two stars? I'm very excited about this one, I'm sorry it was disappointing for you...

message 7: by Camille (new) - added it

Camille Really looking forward to seeing why it was two stars for you! I'm only about 50 pages into this ARC but mostly enjoyed it so far, so I'm super curious about what you thought.

Alexandra For me, it just wasn't exciting - but a lot of other people have enjoyed it so I hope you guys still do xx

Melanie Alexandra wrote: "I'm reading this too! It seems to have mostly good reviews so i'm hopeful for it :D"

I think we ended up feeling very similarly! Hehehe! 💕xx

Melanie Catherine wrote: "Oh, two stars? I'm very excited about this one, I'm sorry it was disappointing for you..."

I know, I feel awful! But I hope you and everyone else enjoys this one more than I did! 💕xx

Melanie Camille wrote: "Really looking forward to seeing why it was two stars for you! I'm only about 50 pages into this ARC but mostly enjoyed it so far, so I'm super curious about what you thought."

I'll be honest, I've had a bad time in 2018 with historical fiction, so maybe it is just me? But... I just felt so ungodly bored the entire time while reading this one. But I should post my review tonight for it! 💕xx

Catherine Melanie wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Oh, two stars? I'm very excited about this one, I'm sorry it was disappointing for you..."

I know, I feel awful! But I hope you and everyone else enjoys this one more than I did!..."

Oh no, don't! There's no reason to feel awful because you didn't enjoy a book others did or because many people are looking forward to read it. Just because I'm interested in your opinion doesn't mean I don't plan to read it anymore, it's not like you're ruining things for anyone because you have an opinion lovely! I'm just sorry this one didn't work for you and I hope you'll have better luck with your next read! ♥

Alexandra Melanie wrote: "Alexandra wrote: "I'm reading this too! It seems to have mostly good reviews so i'm hopeful for it :D"

I think we ended up feeling very similarly! Hehehe! 💕xx"

omg, yeeeess. It was just so boring. She could have done so much more with it xx

Lina~Blackbird Queen Aww, I'm sorry you didn't like it. I hope the next book you read will be better!

Namera [The Literary Invertebrate] Ah, I'm sorry you didn't like it! I agree that the villain was weak, especially at the end, but I thought the writing was good

Melanie Catherine wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Oh, two stars? I'm very excited about this one, I'm sorry it was disappointing for you..."

I know, I feel awful! But I hope you and everyone else enjoys this one ..."

Thank you so much, love. I hope you're having happy reading! 💖xx

Melanie Lina~Blackbird Queen wrote: "Aww, I'm sorry you didn't like it. I hope the next book you read will be better!"

Awh, thank you, sweetheart! I hope you are currently reading something five star worthy, too! 💖xx

Melanie Namera [The Literary Invertebrate] wrote: "Ah, I'm sorry you didn't like it! I agree that the villain was weak, especially at the end, but I thought the writing was good"

I've had such bad luck with historical things this year, I swear! Hehe! But you can't love them all, I suppose! I hope you're currently having happy reading, love! 💖xx

message 19: by KAS (new)

KAS Sorry this was a boring read for you, Melanie :( Hoping your next is very entertaining!! xoxo

Crazy4Books Im currently reading and so bored. Gilded Wolves was way better.

megs_bookrack Great review, Melanie. As always I cherish your honesty! xo

Maddy Whitfield I found the first half super boring. It definitely became more interesting at about 250 pages in haha. What a mission that was. I’m so sad too because I was VERY much looking forward to this book. *cries*

message 23: by Tib (new) - added it

Tib I ended up DNFing it. I just couldn't do the repetitiveness of the middle and Camille's hypocrisy. So sad because I was super looking forward to this book.