Juli's Reviews > Awesome!

Awesome! by Craig Shuttlewood

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley-arcs, next

I would like to thank NetGalley, the publisher and the author for my advanced copy of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Marvin and Woody are best friends. One day Marvin rescues another forest animal and becomes an instant hero. Woody over time feels neglected by Marvin and starts acting out. Will these two remain friends? Can they work through this phase?

This book was just so-so for me. I enjoyed the morale of the story and the plotline. The overall message is important and kids should learn that lesson. So, if that's what you're looking for, this is an excellent book. What makes me deduct stars are the illustrations. I just didn't connect with the style. When I think of forests and forest creatures, I want to see bold and strong lines representing mighty trees and whimsical themes representing the animals. This had neither really. The style was fairly cartoonish but the illustrator did not fully commit to this either despite the fact that Marvin takes on a superhero character (Awesome!) and a cartoon/graphic novel style could've been fitting.

See my blog (spoilers possible!) here: https://ichleseblog.wordpress.com/201....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Awesome!.

June 22, 2018 – Shelved