Kate's Reviews > The Life and Death Parade

The Life and Death Parade by Eliza Wass

bookshelves: 2018, age-ya, magical-realism

I received this ARC from my library director, who attended BEA.

Kitty lives in an in-between place. Her mother was the nanny to the Bramley children, who live in a crumbling castle. After her mother died, she still lives there, even though she doesn't work for the Bramleys. And after Nikki, who Kitty loved, died, Kitty doesn't quite know why she's staying there, except that she feel Nikki still there. See, Kitty's mother practiced magick, and before Nikki died, a psychic of the Life and Death Parade predicted that he would die. Kitty finds the Parade and a mysterious boy named Roan, who may or may not have the power of resurrection.

I blew through this book. Kitty's present search for Roan and how to bring Nikki back alternates with Nikki's last days before he died, and it wasn't until close to the end that I could understand what had happened - it certainly wasn't what I had guessed! The Bramleys and their lifestyle intrigued me, though Nikki remained elusive. I do wish there had been more of the Life and Death Parade as it was really cool! My favorite character was probably Roan, just because he was so interesting, although I really would have loved to know Kitty's mum. Overall this story came together in so many unexpected ways. It had a bit of the feel I got from Maggie Stiefvater's The Raven Boys.

The Life and Death Parade will be released on July 12, 2018.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Life and Death Parade.

June 21, 2018 – Started Reading