Nicole Perez's Reviews > Riding Freedom

Riding Freedom by Pam Muñoz Ryan

F 50x66
Aw, I really liked this book. Firstly, I like to see when authors really do their research, and Ryan did hers before creating this book! This true story is very inspiring in that it tells the story of a girl, Charlotte Parkhurst, living in a sexist society where women haven't a voice nor could they choose what they longed to do. In order to chase her dreams of riding horses and owning her own ranch, she disguises herself as a man. I think that, for students, a story like this provides glimpses of what life was like during the 1800s where the rights of women were laughed at by many. After reading this book, I fell in love with Charlotte and felt compelled to research Charlotte Parkhurst because she was so brave and driven so pursue her life dreams. And as always, Brian Selznick's illustrations are uniquely beautiful -- such as the cover art which I find is so lovely and meaningful. I wish there were more artwork throughout the book.
Curriculum: A book I would happily read with young adults, or recommend them. This could raise so many questions about civil rights, rights in history, suffrage movement, other related ideas. Of course, young girls who love horses may really enjoy this read as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Riding Freedom.