Michelle Athy's Reviews > Rejected Princesses: Tales of History's Boldest Heroines, Hellions, and Heretics

Rejected Princesses by Jason Porath

bookshelves: 2018-books, favorites

"Well-behaved women seldom make history."

I heard of Rejected Princesses.com a few years ago, where I read the incredible story of spy Noor Inayat Khan. But I hadn't gotten around to reading the book until this year. Wow, I loved it so much. If I had read this book as a teenage girl, it would have made a difference in my own perceptions of women and feminism and the different shades of strength, compromises, and humanity of various women. As an adult--a history buff--reading about women who would never be Disney princesses--some of whom are legends or myths but many of whom were real historical women who did cool, sometimes badass things, was amazing and inspiring.

Take Chiyome Mochizuki, who lived in shogunate Japan. She formed an espionage network of female ninjas to spy on rival daimyos.

Kurmanjan Datka, tsarina of Kyrgyzstan, who was installed as tsarina by the khanates because they thought she could be controlled--she ended up fighting them and the Russians off.

Mary Bowser, African-American freed woman, spying for the Union cause during the Civil War, undercover as a slave in *Jefferson Davis's house.*

Malinche, Hernan Cortes' native interpreter as he and the conquistadors arrived in Mexico and wiped out the Aztecs.

Each entry gets a two or three page bio and a beautiful drawing, with notes sometimes on both the bio and the artwork. Porath was a Dreamworks animator, so the artwork is in that recognizable Disney princess style. And the book itself, because of the artwork and the layouts, is a beautiful book. Read this in hardcover.

I'm thankful for not only the book for bringing often-forgotten women and their deeds to life and light, but also to the website, which has several free entries of more cool women everyone should know about.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rejected Princesses.

June 21, 2018 – Shelved