Meg's Reviews > No One You Know

Jun 12, 2008

bookshelves: book-club
Recommended for: everyone
Read in June, 2008

Toward the end of this incredibly moving literary mystery, the storyteller and Ellie is a storyteller; narrator is far too sterile a word for what is going on here comes to the realization that stories aren t set in stone. I don t know if that is a universal truth, provable to the irrefutable certainty demanded by the mathematician characters in No One You Know, but it is clearly true about the story told in these wonderful pages. This story is set in something far richer: fertile literary soil that is at times dark, at times funny, at times heartbreaking, and, at every step, lyrical. [return][return]I ve been a been reader of literary fiction for more years than I care to admit, and a reader of mysteries for even longer than that, and still no novel comes to mind that, for me, combines the best of both these worlds so elegantly. [return][return]In this novel of stories told and received, retold and unwound, Ellie s search for the truth about the unsolved murder of Lila, her brilliant mathematician sister, is a lovely study of passion, family, loss, and love. It left me thinking about so many things: how we love and why we fear loving; how we define ourselves and those around us, or leave those tasks to others; how important passion is to the work we choose to do; how often untruths told with confidence are received as truths, and how difficult it is to peel back the edges to get a peek behind widely accepted untruths; how much damage we sometimes do to others when we are over-focused on ourselves. [return][return]No One You Know is a book I will be putting in the hands of every intelligent reader I know.[return][return]Snow Falling on Cedars? Perhaps it might be in the same league as No One You Know. Perhaps.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No One You Know.

03/21/2016 marked as: read