Redfox5's Reviews > Millennium People

Millennium People by J.G. Ballard

it was ok
bookshelves: england, fiction

A bomb goes off on the baggage carousel at Heathrow, killing David's ex wife Laura. And even though he's not been with her for years and has another wife, Sally who is handicapped but not really handicapped, he feels he needs to find out who killed her.

He starts by joining random protests and get involved with residents of Chelsea Marina. They are starting a middle class revolution. Fed up with high maintenance fees & parking tickets, they go on a spree of random vandalism.

He gets sucked into this as it's led by the very strange Dr Gould . I didn't really understand why David liked this character, especially after it scene where it implies he is sexually abusing brain dead children as young as six!

Only when people start getting killed, then David feels uncomfortable (apparently the abusing kids bit was fine with him!) and he starts to realise who really set the bomb of at Heathrow.

I struggled with this book, it's supposed to be comic but maybe you need to be a member of the middle class to really appreciate it. It was alright but there were times I had to force myself to read on. I only really sat down with it properly towards the end.

I did really like that there were so many places I had been in this book. I had never seen Ashford Hospital mentioned in a book before. I mean, I wouldn't advise being treated there, as it's crap but I've been there!

I also liked that the celebrity that was murdered, drove a Nissan Cherry. This is my favorite car and they are rarely seen or mentioned nowadays.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Millennium People.

June 21, 2018 – Started Reading