Evie Braithwaite's Reviews > To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

bookshelves: classics, fiction, historical-fiction

I’m among the minority who were never forced to read this at school. February’s classic was incredible. There’s not much I can say that hasn’t been said thousands of times before, so all I will do is attempt to legibly summarise my thoughts:

Scout has become one of my favourite characters of all time. She was hilarious. Her sass, her inquisitiveness, her train of thought, it was a joy reading from her perspective. She doesn’t understand why women or black people couldn’t share the same success as white men. Why must she conform to the conventional ‘ladylike’ ways? Through Scout’s eyes, everyone is equal; men, women, black, white, the disabled, children; why are some subjugated while others aren’t? It was fascinating to watch her understanding of the world around her grow.

Furthermore, the plot is easy to follow and embellished with lyrical writing without being over-abundant with figurative language. It was a comforting read while also dealing with poignant issues. When the children have questions, Atticus doesn’t sugar-coat his answers. Similarly, Lee doesn’t sugar-coat any of the issues she lays out in front of us. Her message is loud and clear.

The trial was the most poignant part of the novel, but much of To Kill A Mockingbird is about Scout and Jem’s antics and life in Maycomb. Lee created an idyllic town with charming neighbours while simultaneously illustrating the prominent racism and prejudice that is threaded throughout day-to-day life. The children’s curiosity encapsulates how nonsensical this prejudice and mistreatment of certain groups of society really is. Why are these down-to-earth folk subject to such ill-treatment?

Overall, this was an immensely comforting read which honestly captures childhood and is very much still relevant today. If you haven’t read it, you should.

June 21, 2018 – Shelved