Brenda's Reviews > The Right Place

The Right Place by Carla Caruso

Heartbroken, Nella Martini had packed her bags and left Melbourne without turning back. She arrived in her home town of Adelaide, to the home she’d known all her life – Torrente Blu, the market garden which had been her nonna and nonno’s life. Nella’s nonna had recently passed away and in her grief, Nella knew she had to go through the old home to prepare it for sale. She was determined to return to her dreams of the fashion industry – the money from the sale of Torrente Blu would set her up as she wanted.

Adrian Tomaso worked the market garden and had paid rent to Nella’s nonna. The arrangement was continuing, but Adrian was grumpy, surly and kept to himself. They were bound to clash – that was why Nella needed to have things done quickly. But the discovery of her nonna’s old cookbook – hand written with the fabulous Italian recipes she used to love – put a hold on her plans.

Esta Feliciano arrived in Australia with her daughter Olivia in 1950 after her husband Lucio had moved from their home in Italy, which had been decimated by the war, to establish himself for his family’s arrival. He loved Australia; Adelaide in particular – the small piece of land he’d named Torrente Blu was his pride and joy. But could his beloved wife accept and settle in the vast countryside under the scorching Australian sun?

As Nella’s plans unraveled, and new ideas took hold, she discovered things about her grandparents she had either forgotten or hadn’t known. The tomatoes of the market garden were edging their way into Nella’s heart. What was she to do? Where was home? Where was the right place?

The Right Place by Aussie author Carla Carusa – wow! What a fabulous story! Laden with wonderful Italian recipes; set in areas of Adelaide that I know; The Right Place felt familiar and completely perfect. The story takes place in the 1950s and current day – all in Adelaide. It tells the stories of two women – Esta and her granddaughter Nella. The Right Place is my first by this author; it won’t be my last. Most impressed – and highly recommended.

With thanks to HarperCollins Publishers AU for my uncorrected proof ARC to read and review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Right Place.

June 21, 2018 – Shelved
August 13, 2018 – Shelved as: reviewing-by-request
August 13, 2018 – Shelved as: sent-by-publisher
August 13, 2018 – Shelved as: aussie-authors
August 13, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Kylie D I really enjoyed this book, I'm glad you liked it too Brenda :)

Brenda Thanks Kylie - it was exceptional!

Kylie D Yes, I'll have to try some of the recipes now. Great review BTW

Brenda Thanks :) Yes they were fabulous! Loved the lasagna recipe :)

Melissa (Mel’s Bookshelf) Looking forward to this one!

Brenda You'll love it Melissa!

message 7: by Elizabeth A.G. (new)

Elizabeth A.G. Brenda -- Excellent review. Have been wanting to read Aussie authors and this sounds like a good place to start. I have 2 grandchildren living in Australia!

Brenda Thanks Elizabeth 😊 It was thoroughly enjoyable. Hope you like it as much as I did. And that's great...gives you a great excuse to visit Australia!

message 9: by Elizabeth A.G. (new)

Elizabeth A.G. Brenda wrote: "Thanks Elizabeth 😊 It was thoroughly enjoyable. Hope you like it as much as I did. And that's great...gives you a great excuse to visit Australia!"

Yes, indeed -- Been there for a wedding and for the Christenings of my grandsons!! And they have visited us in the States

Brenda Sounds good :) You're welcome back any time!

message 11: by Suzanne (new) - added it