Jim's Reviews > Among the Wicked

Among the Wicked by Linda Castillo

36199787

bookshelves: books-read-2019, mystery-suspense-thriller

Kate Burkholder's reputation is growing. The Chief of Police in Painters Mill, Ohio gets a visit from a pair of law enforcement officers from upstate New York. 15-year-old Rachel Esh, a Amish girl from Roaring Springs, New York was found frozen to death. It could have been a tragic accident but she had drugs in her system and had recently undergone an abortion. Sheriff Dan Suggs and Investigator Frank Betancourt are suspicious but are unable to penetrate the Amish community. They want Kate, who left the Amish as a teenager, to go undercover as an Amish woman and try and learn anything she can.

Roaring Springs recently got a new Amish bishop named Eli Shrock who is a lot stricter than his predecessor and may be using harsh punishments to enforce the rules. Many of the Amish have left Roaring Springs taking with them their businesses. As a result tourism has fallen. With the new bishops strict rules and punishments there is also a concern about the safety and welfare of the Amish children and teens. Local law enforcement is stymied because the Amish don't trust the "Englishers".

Borrowing some of her sisters clothes Kate Burkholder travels to Roaring Springs and becomes Kate Miller, a childless widow. She starts to insert herself into the Amish community. Meeting other Amish, going to services, joining a sewing circle. Kate can dress Amish. She can speak Pennsylvania Dutch and is familiar with the Amish customs but she cannot sew. Her new friends do not hold this against her or comment. As she starts to make friends she reminisces about what might have been had she not left the Amish when she was young.

Kate quickly senses something is not right. People seem secretive, furtive, paranoid. Some have odd injuries. Some have left Roaring Springs, supposedly to assist Amish in other communities, but are never heard from again. Kate has regular contact with Sheriff Dan Suggs to keep him updated on her progress but for the most part she is on her own. She gets into trouble for being a 'nosy Amish woman.' When she tries to talk to the bishop she finds his response "off". The ending, as usual, is a climatic scene in which Kate finds herself in a life threatening situation.

Kate's live in boyfriend, State Agent John Tomasetti, is against her taking this assignment. There are few surprises with regards to who the bad guys are. What set this story apart was the change of location from Painters Mill to Roaring Springs ... and Kate's becoming Amish. In other books in the series the reader looked at the Amish from the outside. In this story the reader joins Kate in living with the Amish.

One of my favorite series. I like the characters and setting and am looking forward to reading Down a Dark Road.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Among the Wicked.

June 21, 2018 – Shelved
June 21, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
May 6, 2019 – Started Reading
May 8, 2019 – Finished Reading
May 9, 2019 – Shelved as: books-read-2019
May 9, 2019 – Shelved as: mystery-suspense-thriller

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen Daly Jim, hi, I started reading this series last year. Books 1 & 2, and I only didn’t go on to 3 because I found those two pretty bloody and violent. I’m wondering if the following books are the same. I don’t know if you can remember being the most insatiable reader on our Goodreads mystery group, so named by myself, lol. I’ll check your reviews on books 3&4, but it’s hard to find you in such a massive review list.

message 2: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim Kathleen wrote: "Jim, hi, I started reading this series last year. Books 1 & 2, and I only didn’t go on to 3 because I found those two pretty bloody and violent. I’m wondering if the following books are the same. I..."

Thank you Kathleen. I hope that you will enjoy the series. There is some violence. These are murder mysteries. But it is usually after the fact. It is not violence for violence effect. The author does not go into too much detail about the act itself.

message 3: by PamG (new)

PamG Great review, Jim. The first one in this series is on my TBR list.

message 4: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim PamG wrote: "Great review, Jim. The first one in this series is on my TBR list."

Thank you Pam! I hope that you will enjoy this series as much as I have.