Book Chick (Tori)'s Reviews > The Minimalist Home: A Room-by-Room Guide to a Decluttered, Refocused Life

The Minimalist Home by Joshua Becker

I am a fan of Joshua Becker. One of my favorite books of his, that I re-read often, is Simplify: 7 Guiding Principles to Help Anyone Declutter Their Home and Life. I've also read The More of Less: Finding the Life You Want Under Everything You Own & Inside-Out Simplicity- both great books.
This book focused specifically on decluttering and minimizing in each individual room of one's home. I can see how this could be a fabulous reference guide for someone new to the minimalist lifestyle or someone who is overwhelmed and doesn't know where to start. I appreciated how he went from room to room with step-by-step instructions/suggestions on where to start in each room. At the end of each room chapter he gave a "Minimizing Checklist"- much like a summary checklist of what he had gone through in the chapter. I thought that was helpful.
Overall the book was exactly what the title says - A Room-by-Room Guide to a Decluttered, Refocused Life. Having read several of his other books, this book seemed to repeat a lot of what I've already read and have put into play in my own life, but that is understandable when it comes to teaching about minimalism. He had a lot of quotes that I highlighted because they spoke to me. If you are thinking of minimizing or need help decluttering your home, this book can help. He has it set up in a easy method to follow and he doesn't force anything. A person can minimize as much or as little as they feel comfortable with during that specific season in their life.
A few quotes I liked:

"Ask yourself what is really important and then have the courage to build your home and life around that answer."

"Just because you have the space doesn't mean you have to fill it with stuff."

"Never organize what you can discard."

"A home that is filled with only the things you use and love will be a home that you love to use."

Source: Netgalley

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Minimalist Home.

June 20, 2018 – Shelved
June 20, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
June 21, 2018 – Started Reading
June 23, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Katie (new)

Katie W This sounds interesting! I always think I want to try and minimize, but I’m scared to. What if I get rid of something important?? I may have to give this book a try...

message 2: by Book Chick (Tori) (last edited Jun 23, 2018 08:01PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Book Chick (Tori) Katie wrote: "This sounds interesting! I always think I want to try and minimize, but I’m scared to. What if I get rid of something important?? I may have to give this book a try..."

He actually gives advice for that as well!! I think he says to put it away and not use it for 29 days. If you find yourself needing it, then don't get rid of it. I've done a few of his tricks, like turning my hangers around backwards and when I wear an item I turn the hanger the other way. I got rid of 2 bags of clothes because I realized after 6 months I didn't wear most of them!

message 3: by Stacey (new) - added it

Stacey I definitely need to read this book. I feel so overwhelmed with all of the stuff I have that I keep "just in case I need it someday".