Estara's Reviews > Marrying The Captain

Marrying The Captain by Carla Kelly

Dec 04, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: dnf, read-in-2011
Recommended for: people who can overlook TSTL heroine behaviour at the end
Read from December 02 to 03, 2011 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** Being on a Carla Kelly trip and still having two physical books of hers in my TBR pile - books that were recommended at DearAuthor.com, I believe - I straightaway jumped into this story, which I really enjoyed.

Kelly seems to have a tendre for heroines who are well-educated but utterly down on their luck, because this is the third one of that kind I've read. Nana Massie was raised at a boarding school for ladies, but she's the illegimate child of her father, a lord working in Admiralty House.

When she realised his nefarious purpose for her education, she went back home to Plymouth and the small inn of her grandmother's. She's been working there, together with her granny and the old ex-sailor Pete, for quite a while now - but times are hard because the blockade to keep the French out of the channel (and to ship men to and from Spain to fight Napoleon) means that there are fewer people needing an inn which is quite a bit away from the port itself.

Captain Oliver Worthy, competent and well-off and 32 years old, dislikes reporting to Lord Ratliffe, because he's somewhat oily in behaviour - but he knows he can't afford to annoy the man so he agrees to report to him about the current fate of his daughter who moved back to her gran recently.

The really good part, the reason why I still give three stars to a book I did not finish, comes next. Quite sick and competent Oliver makes himself a guest at the inn, always keeping an eye on the repairs of his ship. We get lovely interactions with the inhabitants of the inn, cameos from Oliver's subordinates, some of their wives - and lovely interaction between Oliver, who has a good reason not to want to marry, and Nana, who knows she's unlikely to ever get an offer from one of the man her education would have usually destined her for. I especially liked the scene listening to the Christmas oratorio.

Suffice it to say that I was enjoying the book wholeheartedly, enjoying the common sense of both protagonists up to the marriage and the way both tried to take care of each other, each in their own way.

Reason for DNF: (view spoiler)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Marrying The Captain.

Laura (Kyahgirl) I had no problem getting past the TSTL bit at the end but your review really cracked me up. When I read it from your perspective I thought 'yeah, that was pretty retarded'.
I guess I forgot to review this book too. I think I read it a couple of years ago.

Anyway, great review :-)

Estara Thanks ^^ - I would have forgiven the TSTL but NOT when it costs someone else his life. And I know Kelly can do better, so I'm extra annoyed.

Laura (Kyahgirl) Have you read "Mrs. Drew Plays her Hand"?. That is one the first Kelly books I read. It was great.

Now I'm going to have to re-read this one because I don't recall getting the impression that actually caused the death of anyone. I may have missed that point.

message 4: by Estara (last edited Dec 05, 2011 12:10PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Estara I think I did... I got a collection of duology releases when they were put out...

ETA: yup, Signet duology releases of "Mrs. Drew plays her hand"/"Miss Grimsley's Oxford Career" and "Libby's London Merchant"/"Miss Chartley's Guided Tour"