Tari's Reviews > Chili con Corpses

Chili con Corpses by Ellery Adams

In this installment, our Flab Five friends have decided to take a cooking class one day a week as their break from all the constant dieting they'd been doing. Lucy was working hard to pass the last leg of the deputy's exam which caused a big change in James and Lucy's relationship. He found himself drawn to Murphy Alistair, the newspaper editor who in the past hadn't been a very nice person to them but in this book, she sort of became the 6th person in their supper club. When one of the teachers at Lindy's school was murdered during a cave field trip, the state police were called in but the friends decided to do what they did best together, figure out who the killer was. I loved how they set up a sting operation at the end. I had suspected the person who ended up as the killer but didn't know the reason till the clues all were revealed and fell into place.

Since meeting Milla, who ran the cooking class, James thought bringing her around to meet his dad would be a good idea and it was. Jackson seemed to enjoy how she liked spoiling him with her cooking and he seemed a little less reclusive. I really like Milla and since I read ahead a few books a few months ago, I am happy about what happens eventually. I got a kick out of Bennett's New Year's resolution to try out for Jeopardy, he definitely knows a lot of trivia.

What made this seem so realistic was Lucy sort of pulling away from everyone for awhile to devote time to working out and passing the deputy exam. In real life, friend groups always experience that. They have their ups and downs. I like how all these people are always willing to accept the strayed friend back or welcome new friends. Murphy was just seeming too good to be true so it'll be interesting to see what happens next. She was very useful in helping to solve this mystery though. Relationships are never perfect so I think it's pretty true to life how she and James' relationship tends to fade.

On to book four now!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Chili con Corpses.

June 19, 2018 – Started Reading
June 19, 2018 – Shelved
June 19, 2018 –
June 19, 2018 –
June 20, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Carla Johnson-Hicks I am just starting this series. Great review Tari.

Tari Carla wrote: "I am just starting this series. Great review Tari."
Thanks Carla! I just love this series! It's definitely one of those that I could read again (if I had time lol) I read book 5 out of order because I got the ARC for it. Now I've finished 4 (will do the review tomorrow) and may need to review 5 a bit before moving on to 6 :)