Chris "Stu"'s Reviews > King Dork

King Dork by Frank Portman

Jun 11, 2008

bookshelves: 2008, recommended

I'm not exactly sure why this book is classified as "Young Adult" literature, other than it's about teenagers in high school, and, thus, must be for kids.

But this book is really quite good. The narrator is probably one of the ten best narrators I've read, up there with _High Fidelity_ and _Lolita_ and _Middlesex_ in terms of having a distinctive voice and being incredibly readable.

The plot takes a couple of turns that strain believeability, but I was really on board with the book the entire way through. It's a view of high school that seemed very true to me. I wasn't terribly popular, and this book seems to capture what that felt like, and also what it feels like to maybe grow into yourself a little more (which, too, reflects my experience).

So, I guess what I'm saying is that the book is both funny, and rings true. Except for the occasional plot point that doesn't, entirely, but is totally acceptable in the context of the awesome narration.

So.

Yeah. Even if the main character does hate "The Catcher in the Rye," and look down on those of us who love that book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King Dork.

Started Reading