Stormi (Bewitched Reader)'s Reviews > Without Merit

Without Merit by Colleen Hoover

bookshelves: na-romance

Without Merit took me by surprise. I fully expected it to be a great book just like every other Colleen Hoover novel I've read. Ever since this book came out I've been told how its a great story about a unique family. And there is A LOT of unique things about the Voss family. Their names for one. They live in a church. One of them collects old trophies. And that's just to name a few of the things that make the Voss family unique.

Without Merit is a fun one of a kind coming of age story, but it's so much more than just a fun young adult story about a quirky family.

It's about how we shouldn't judge people's actions without knowing their true motives. It's about the effects and importance of mental health. It's about the dangers of secrets and keeping our feelings bottled up. It's about the importance of communicating with and understanding those around us. It's about how sometimes we are so focused on our judgements and living in our own reality that we have no clue that the villains in our reality aren't villains. They are simply human beings struggling with their own experiences and realities.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Without Merit.

Quotes Stormi (Bewitched Reader) Liked

Colleen Hoover
“Not every mistake deserves a consequence. Sometimes the only thing it deserves is forgiveness.”

Colleen Hoover
“Don’t make your presence known. Make your absence felt.”

Colleen Hoover
Tuqburni is used to describe the all-encompassing feeling of not being able to live without someone. Which is why the literal translation is, ‘You bury me.”

Colleen Hoover
“You don’t get to decide what your life means to anyone else.”

Colleen Hoover
“I think we all just got to a point where we were waiting for someone else to initiate it, but no one ever did. Maybe that’s the root of a lot of family issues. It isn’t actually the issues people are hung up about for so long. It’s that no one has the courage to take the first step in talking about the issues.”

Colleen Hoover
“If silence were a river, your tongue would be the boat.”

Colleen Hoover
“I like you enough to kiss you. Believe me. But I just wish you could like yourself as much as I like you.”

Colleen Hoover
“Having depression is no more out of your control than Sagan’s intolerance to milk, or Utah’s pale skin, or Honor’s bad vision. It’s nothing to be embarrassed about. But it’s not something you can ignore or correct on your own. And it doesn’t make you abnormal. It makes you just as normal as these idiots,” he says, waving toward everyone else.”

Colleen Hoover
“Stares shouldn’t have weight, but knowing his eyes are on me makes my steps feel heavier.”

“Bitch you.”

Colleen Hoover
“I used to feel like i was on the top of the world. Then one day, i noticed that it felt like i was no longer on the top of the world. I was just floating around inside of it. And then eventually, it felt like the world was on top of me.”

Colleen Hoover
“So many people dream of living in a house with a white picket fence. Little do they know, there's no such thing as a perfect family, no matter how white the picket fence is.”

Colleen Hoover
“The same two things could happen to two people, but that doesn't mean they would experience the exact same stress over it. We all have different levels of stress that we're accustomed to. You probably felt the same amount of stress over your family situation as I sometimes do about mine, even though they're completely on different levels. But that doesn't make you weaker. It doesn't make you an asshole. We're just two different people with two different experiences.”

Colleen Hoover
“A person can't help their attraction to another person, but a person can help their actions toward another person.”

“33°08'16.8"N, 95°36'04.4"W.”

Colleen Hoover
“Forget about time, Merit. Look at him and tell me you haven’t fallen in love with him.”
I sigh. Fallen is an understatement. It was more like collapsed. Plummeted. Crumpled at his feet. Anything but fallen”

Colleen Hoover
“Out of all the places we could be, we're right here. At the same time.”

Colleen Hoover
“I can't think of a single instance where I've ever been looked at like he's looking at me right now.”

Colleen Hoover
“It feels like my heart is swollen when I finally look at him”

Colleen Hoover
“Your emotions and reactions are valid, Merit. Don’t let anyone tell you any different. You’re the only one who feels them.”

Colleen Hoover
“(L) So that makes me.... your uncle?

(M) Step-uncle.

(L) I already pictured you naked.

(M) Now would be a good time to stop doing that.”

Colleen Hoover
“But just because we don't speak doesn't mean I don't feel it every time he looks at me.”

Colleen Hoover
“Because I'd give anything for him to look at me the way he looked at me when he thought I was Honor.”

Colleen Hoover
“I've lived here less than a week and I can already tell you live in your own version of reality.”

June 19, 2018 – Shelved