Kelly Houser's Reviews > The Devil's Rooming House: The True Story of America's Deadliest Female Serial Killer

The Devil's Rooming House by M. William Phelps

Dec 04, 2011

it was ok

I was lured into this book by the subtitle. Female serial killers are so rare, especially one that was killing people 100 years ago, that I decided to give this book a go. Unfortunately, this book turned out to be just OK. The story, while interesting, wasn’t all that compelling. I didn’t really care for the way the story was told, either. The author drug the story out longer than was necessary and there was a ton of detail about the weather and how hot it was during the summer of 1911. I’m sorry, but I don’t really care how hot it was. It added nothing to the story other than to make it longer.

I think Phelps was trying to be very Truman Capote In Cold Blood with this book, and it just wasn’t that kind of tale and it didn’t work.

I can’t honestly say I would recommend this book. If you are a die hard true crime fan and want to read this book, get a copy from the library.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Rooming House.