Mary-ellen's Reviews > Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World

Deep Work by Cal Newport

it was ok

A shallow, poor quality book about deep work. The central idea is about scheduling distraction free blocks of time to help you reach a state of flow with your work so you can achieve more. The useful content could be summed up in about 10 pages. The rest of it is mind-numbing padding. For a guy who doesn’t want his time wasted, he wasn’t exactly respectful of his reader’s time. I grew quickly tired of hearing about how awesome this author is. Some of his comments on business versus academia are arrogant - especially his assumptions about how long it would take the average grad to learn various business tasks.

While I agree with the value of deep work, it’s not a new idea. And there’s nothing new here. I closed this book wondering if Cal Newport has it all wrong. I think he might do better to get off the academic publishing treadmill he has shackled himself to and prioritise quality over quantity in future.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deep Work.

June 19, 2018 – Shelved
June 19, 2018 – Shelved as: to-read
July 12, 2018 – Started Reading
July 14, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Shabana (new)

Shabana Mukhtar Nicely summed up! A lot of non-fic review these days mention the same thing - 'repetitive and nothing new'.

Mary-ellen Shabana wrote: "Nicely summed up! A lot of non-fic review these days mention the same thing - 'repetitive and nothing new'."

Thanks, Shabana! I hate to give negative reviews, but I really struggled with this one. :)

message 3: by Shabana (new)

Shabana Mukhtar I totally get it. But a reader's gotta do what she gotta do :)

Mary-ellen Maddie wrote: "Good honest review"

Thanks, Maddie :)

Mark Adam Summed up my feelings personally. My only take away outside of content for 2/3 lifehacker articles is the author's inflated opinion about the importance of academia.

Mary-ellen Mark Adam wrote: "Summed up my feelings personally. My only take away outside of content for 2/3 lifehacker articles is the author's inflated opinion about the importance of academia."

I agree! The publish or perish mantra needs to be broadened to include quality and humility.