Michelle Athy's Reviews > Once Upon a Marquess

Once Upon a Marquess by Courtney Milan

liked it
bookshelves: 2018-books

I love Courtney Milan. Her Brothers Sinister series was like a historical romance revelation to me. The Worth Saga is about a disgraced English noble family in Victorian England--the father, an earl, was convicted of treason and his heir was convicted and transported, also for treason, leaving the other children destitute. But when Anthony the heir's ship reached Australia, he wasn't on board.

judith is the oldest daughter of the Worth family. Through her own ingenuity, she has mostly held her family together, but she needs help and she summons Christian Trent, Marquess of Ashford, her former sweetheart and best friend of her elder brother. Judith feels betrayed by Christian because of what happened to Anthony.

This was a first book in a complicated series, so it was filled with a lot of set-ups for future books in terms of plot and through lines. The romance didn't always hit me in the feels, but I admired Judith and I liked Christian and I liked the pace of their rekindling romance and the pace at which secrets and revelations were doled out in the plot.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Once Upon a Marquess.

June 18, 2018 – Started Reading